Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Kentucky walleye q?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kentucky walleye q?

I have done a web search and cant find any info on when walleye spawn in ky.

My curiosity is up on this subject, because I live near a lake that has a decent number of walleye and would like to know about what time to start fishing the shallow's.

I generally start in april night fishing, but these fish have already spawned and this year I want to get a early start.

Any info. on the matter is appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

I usually don't fish the spawn (fishing for other fish), but I would recommend contacting your regional biologist with the KDFW. My experience is that they are very helpful. I have gotten tips not only on when to fish but even precise locations. I have in the past fished the South Fork of the Cumberland in Feb and March and have done ok (nothing to brag about). I have also heard that the Laurel River above the lake near the Corbin dam is also good. I will say that the run will vary with weather and water conditions. A lot of walleye fishermen in Ky are very tight lipped. It is almost impossible to find out anything on the web.

Good luck

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Chigger ......

Quote Originally Posted by chigger
    I have done a web search and cant find any info on when walleye spawn in ky.

My curiosity is up on this subject, because I live near a lake that has a decent number of walleye and would like to know about what time to start fishing the shallow's.

I generally start in april night fishing, but these fish have already spawned and this year I want to get a early start.

Any info. on the matter is appreciated!
    Got this off the web :

Spawning: Walleye spawn early in the spring when water temperatures reach 40-45 °F; preferred water temperature for spawning rages from 42 - 50 °F; spawning occurs in streams and rivers and sometimes in impoundments; spawning habitat in impoundments is limited to shallow, wind-swept shorelines, rock reefs away from the shoreline, and flooded marshes; preferred spawning substrate is gravel and cobble; female walleye may deposit from 20,000 to 600,000 small eggs; adult walleye do not guard their eggs which typically hatch in about 2 weeks

http://www.aa-fishing.com/ky/kentuck...e-fishing.html

http://marc.poirier.com/2005/02/wall...g-behavior.htm

Maybe you can glean some useful info from these ........ luck2ya ... cp