Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dumb trolling motor question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dumb trolling motor question

I have a cable steer MG trolling motor. My issue is while trolling if i take my foot off the pedal it does take but a minute and i will be spining to the right.

My question is would an electric steer trolling motor stay pointed in the direction you leave it in untill you change it?

Post Thanks / Like

Each kind have pluses and minuses. There are even guys who have quick change brackets so they can go from electric to cable and back whenever they want.

Post Thanks / Like

I am done with MY cable steer. It would be fine if it had a tension adjustment like some do.

Post Thanks / Like

There is an aftermarket product that allows you to adjust tension so the motor won't change direction if you take your foot off when motor is running.
    te
    Troll Perfect MotorGuide

I had one on my cable steer MG before I went to the I-Pilot. One word of caution. When I put mine on, I just hand tightened the tension screw with the motor stowed. It was a few days before I went out and I forgot I had put the Troll Free on and I could not move the foot pedal when I deployed the motor. Once I realized it was not a frozen cable, I slacked off on the tension adjustment until I got it just right. Worked fine after that.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men
    Likes jwilson904 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Troll Perfect and they work well and don't cost very much. It don't completely solve the problem but it's a big help.
    Set da hook
    Likes jwilson904 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thank yall so much! Just saved me piles of money.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I put one on my old MG cable and it worked pretty good. To answer your question though yes the electrics will stay where you put them.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

My redneck fix was to get the motor pointed in the right direction and then wrap a towel around the foot pedal and the floor. But to answer your question, yes, an electric steer motor should stay where you point it.

Post Thanks / Like

you don't see it as often as you use to....but that is why some guys actually preferred a handle model with an extension. If I remember right Bill Dance fished that way a lot,and I have seen some saltwater flats fisherman do it to. The torque from the prop is almost always going to try to turn you one way unless that peddle is so tight it would be stiff to use.

I did not know about the troll perfects may have to try them myself.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've seen a few troll perfects on others boats and known at least one that made one from radiator hose, they do just fine.
    About the power drive, it does better than stay put. With an auto pilot it will keep the same direction by compass heading on it's own and the I-pilot will do much better than that as it answers a GPS heading. They're worth looking into but aren't cheap.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast