Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog breeds for fishing?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dog breeds for fishing?

We have a lab retriever (rescue) and she's a great dog, but believe it or not she's not fond of the water or boat. We are usually a 2 dog family, lost our 15 year old Boston Terrier over a year ago and are starting to think about a 2nd dog again. I'd like a smaller breed that I can take on the boat or even kayak and would get along with our lab. Curious as to recommendations from y'all.
    A man remembered never dies.

Post Thanks / Like

The Boykin Spaniel was bred here in SC for exactly your needs. It is a great family dog and excellent retriever. The Boykin was bred to use in the small "sneak" boats so popular for duck hunting here in our swamps.
    Here is a link to their history.

Welcome to The Boykin Spaniel Society - Camden, South Carolina

And they are now recognized by the AKC as a purebred species.

Here is an excerpt from the link:

Today this little brown retriever can be found on hunts and in homes across America. Stamina in hot weather and eagerness to please make this dog a favorite in the dove fields, but Boykins have retained their spaniel flushing abilities and readily adapt to a variety of upland game hunting including pheasant, quail and grouse. An aptitude for water retrieving combined with their compact size assures these dogs a place in the duck boats and blinds as well. Boykins have often been described as "the dog that doesn't rock the boat." They are even effective in deer driving or in tracking wounded deer. Like many of the sporting breeds, Boykin spaniels make the transition from hunting companion to family pet easily. Boykin spaniels are true dual-purpose hunting dogs.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

There is also a rescue group just for the Boykin, if you want an adult dog.
    Welcome to Boykin Spaniel Rescue

(save some money too)
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

Almost any dog will take to your activities, if introduced at a young enough age. If you are interested in a rescue dog, maybe you could ask to take it out of the shelter for a day to see if will be more at home in the boat than the Lab
    Likes Mrs. Crappie Stalker LIKED above post

Eagle 1 is online now Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

yorkie !Name:  Video 108 0 00 00-07.jpg
Views: 1462
Size:  36.6 KBName:  Video 30 0 00 04-03.jpg
Views: 1360
Size:  21.8 KB
    Likes Tundah, Chuck Haley, Minners N Jigs LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have seen just about every breed there is in a boat at one time or another. Even Rottweiler and Wiemeraner. I've always heard "It's not the dog in the fight but the fight in the dog". In this case it's the passion to be your companion that you look for. Spaniels in general are loving dogs that yearn to please. I read a piece years back of a man who had a Brittany or Springer(one of the liver and white varieties)that would go nuts on the way home in it's cage in the back of the Suburban after a long hard day afield. He stopped, thinking the dog had something to do. When he opened the cage the dog went to the front door and whined. He opened the passenger door and he hopped in. A mile down the road the dog has his head in his masters lap and was sound asleep.That's the trait I would look for. I have 4 of different sizes and breeds and for different reasons they all stay home. I have a Jack Russel/ black and tan Dachshund mix that thinks the sun rises and sets on me, never in my life has one attached to me so. I would enjoy the company but I don't think breed would matter to me. Jack Russel's are spunky but can be overbearing. Rat Terrier is one of the best dogs I know of in an 18 wheel rig, good attitude and tough as nails. Good luck in your search, I hope you find your new buddy......Skeet.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes vic n LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

We take our beagles occasionally. They like the ride, but can get annoying since they like to wander the boat and get under our feet. My parents take their poodles. They usually lay under the console out of the way. Growing up we had labs and they loved going out of the boat. They'd even jump in a swim a bit with life jackets on and then climb back in. I think about any dog can be a good boat dog given proper introduction.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  20150926_111522.jpg
Views: 1447
Size:  44.6 KB

Name:  20150926_121843.jpg
Views: 1498
Size:  41.7 KB

Funny that you posted this today. We spent our day on Pickwick with Charlie, our rescue lab and Buster, the doxie. Buster has loved the boat since the first time we took him as a puppy. He's only bailed out one time trying to follow Paul at the boat dock.
    Vonna
    Yes, I fish like a girl. If you tried a little harder, you could too!!
    Likes Tundah, Minners N Jigs LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

:rolleyes::rolleyes:Great picture Vonna. Some real fishing buddies. Too bad they are so stressed.
    Capt.C........Life's short. Be a friend. Eat good. Have fun and fish hard!
    Likes Mrs. Crappie Stalker, Redge, vic n, IkenI LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I was walking down a boat dock at Kentucky lake one time and happen to walk by a boat with a lady and a dog.The dog was standing on the deck of the bass boat near the bow. He acted cool as a cucumber and I just happen to ask the lady if that was the fishin' dog. She said yeap...fishin' dog. I said he sure is calm and acts like he's and old deck hand and she said he loves boating and fishing. I said what breed it is that...she said Miniature Schnauzer.

Years later we lost a dog so when we got another guess what I got? And he's a good sidekick on the water.

I also have a Mountain Cur dog and she goes once in a while too. But much more excitable dog and harder to keep calm.
    Likes Chuck Haley LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast