Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fishing during Fall draw downs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing during Fall draw downs

Being the time of year when the Corps lower lake levels, I thought I would start a thread seeking info. What adjustments does every one do? I've always heard fishing is much better when the water levels are on the rise. Going to Cave Run lake Ky next weekend and noticed they started drawing it down at a rate of about 12" per week, at this rate I am guessing it will take around 6 weeks to get it down to Winter pool?

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

That is a reasonable rate of draw down to my thinking. Tims Ford and Normandy are the lakes that I had around me and it seemed like they would just about dump water at the fastest rate possible and the fishing just got tough. I never figured out how to get em interested with and regularity. Putting everything I could figure that they might be interested in, slowly, was what I did. Don't think I ever got any giant catches but always got enough for dinner, and sometimes enough for the freezer.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Tom .... ask over on the KY state forum page. There are several members that fish Cave Run and they might have some suggestions. I can't tell you much of anything on Fall fishing at Cave Run, as I've only fished it once (Oct last year) in a very long time. The KDFWR has placed brushpiles in the lake, and has GPS coord's for them on their website. ( Kentucky Department of Fish & Wildlife Lakes with Fish Attractors )

Best I can recall, the biggest concentration of boats that I saw were fishing the grass flats, across the lake from the Twin Knobs/Alfrey launch ramp. They had to have been fishing the grass mats, as there are no KDFWR brushpiles in that area. I fished the bank from the Alfrey ramp down to Cassidy Ford Hollow and only caught one. Cassidy Ford Hollow was choked bad with grass/moss last Fall, so you might also ask what the grass/moss situation is currently like.

... cp