Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reels?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Reels?

I am about to order some of the pinnacle rods from Grizzly jig. Trying to decide what type of reel to put on them. I have always put spinning reels on my rods. They will be the 12 footers and I like to push with about 1/2 ounce weights and jigs and I also like to long line at times. Anyone using those cheaper crappie reels that mount on top like a bait caster. You can get those or the ht spinning reels for about the same price (less than $10 each). Any advice?

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Bait casters with thumb bars....that way its easy to release line when bringing in a fish that you have caught on a long pole with short line out.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes canebreaker LIKED above post

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cwright View Post
    I am about to order some of the pinnacle rods from Grizzly jig. Trying to decide what type of reel to put on them. I have always put spinning reels on my rods. They will be the 12 footers and I like to push with about 1/2 ounce weights and jigs and I also like to long line at times. Anyone using those cheaper crappie reels that mount on top like a bait caster. You can get those or the ht spinning reels for about the same price (less than $10 each). Any advice?
    I use spinning reels for all my longlining with jigs but line-counter level-winds to pull cranks. I have the Pinnacle rods in 8,10 and 12 for longlining and pulling planers.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

If ya plan to longline get spinning reels. The Shimano IX1000;is a great low cost reel that simply works. Just spiderrigging get a baitcaster with thumb bar like G mentioned.

catchNgrease is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I fish the pinnacle rods and I use the Bucks mini reels that Grizzly also sales. I am on my 2nd season with them and I have had no trouble with them. I wanted to get in on a lower price level while I was learning to long line. Kinda amazed that I aint broke one or dropped one yet.

Post Thanks / Like

I have two of the shamino Ix 1000 and they work good for long lining.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought two of the shamino reels this weekend to try and ordered the rods this morning. I really like the reels so far. I like that they are a little bigger than the ultra-lites.
    Thanks guys

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cwright View Post
    I bought two of the shamino reels this weekend to try and ordered the rods this morning. I really like the reels so far. I like that they are a little bigger than the ultra-lites.
    Thanks guys
    Those are a much better reel than the price would indicate. Very smooth drag and never had any trouble with the ones I have.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Shimano did make a 500 series but not sure if they still do . but as much as I love mine they have not lasted as well as others in my guide service plfugger has been the best Affordable reel so far by outlasting shimano by twice as long . my Penn and diawa stuff is holding up well and quantum stuff is doing good depending on the models .. I have the cheapest plfugger I could find and its 8 years into service with a 3 year old shimano needing new ring gears and bushings. And they get serviced regularly

Post Thanks / Like

8 years is a long time for a guides reels. I will take a look at those as well. thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast