Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat purchase advice...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat purchase advice...

All,

I am selling my 20' 'toon and looking at several different boats to replace it. My hard requirement is that the boat has to be able to fish 5 relatively comfortably and be able to scale to 6 or 7 maximum. This puts me in the 17.5-20' range and I am weighing size vs. value at this point. As a result, I am interested in thoughts from you guys on what direction you would go on these 4 options.

1- Roomy and cheapest, but needs at least $2,200 in upgrades
    1993 Cajun Travis Edition 1850 Fishmaster center console (glass boat)- $6,000 (Johnson 120, new deck wood and carpet, needs updated electronics and trolling motor upgrade)
    2- Roomy, worst value as equipped, ready for water
    1998 Lund Pro V SE 1800- $13,500 (Merc 125 main, Terrova 80, US2, iPilot, Lowrance HDS4 console, Humminbird 570 Sonar in bow))
    3- Largest and decent value, but needs at least $1,500 trolling motor upgrade
    1998 Lund Pro V LE 1900- $13,500 (Merc 200 main, Merc 15 kicker, needs trolling motor upgrade, older Lowrance and Humminbird console and Lowrance in bow)
    4- Smallest BUT best equipped, decent value, ready for water
    1993 Lund Pro V SE 1775- $11,000 (Yamaha 115, Yamaha 10 4-stroke kicker, Terrova 80, US2, iPilot, Lowrance elite 4 and 5 on bow and console)

Thank you all in advance for your thoughts!

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Having had a basic older Lund a few years back I will say they make an excellent boat. I like a boat with some range so the ability to run at least 20 to 25 mph is what I look for. Mine was a 16 with a 35 Evinrude and did very well with one drawback. It had rounded chines and because of this rolled left and right a lot and though not unstable caused discomfort by rolling with the boat all day. I've had lower back issues for years and I was sore when a day of that was over. Boat never leaked at all and was 25 yrs old when I bought it. I look for aluminum boats with a reverse chine now as they roll much less and are even more stable at rest and under way. I also like a boat about 18' for storage and overall comfort with more than 2 people in it.You're pretty much on the right track in your search, good luck finding what you're after.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally, if I was going to accommodate 5 often and 6-7 occasionally, I wouldn't be looking at any of the options you mention. I just don't see any of them roomy enough to comfortably fish that many folks.

I would be looking at a deck boat or another pontoon.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Likes blueball, Cray, clfarms1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know....if I was going to try and fish that many I would go with a BIG ,WIDE 20ft John boat that's totally open and custom outfit the seating to accommodate that many people. I would probably even tiller steer to leave the room a console would use.Fore and aft live wells would help with that many too. Just my thinking.
    Likes vic n, huntinslabs LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with doggone here. Get a big "river" john and design the interior yourself with removable seating, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by doggone View Post
    I don't know....if I was going to try and fish that many I would go with a BIG ,WIDE 20ft John boat that's totally open and custom outfit the seating to accommodate that many people. I would probably even tiller steer to leave the room a console would use.Fore and aft live wells would help with that many too. Just my thinking.
    This is an excellant thought. One oc ghem gigantic Sea Arks lkke a 2072 witb 90 tiller and Titan hydraulic tiller would be nice. Couple 120 quart coolers witb seats mounted on em.
    Likes "G", Gobob LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the big John. You need at least a 20ft. Personally, if I were fishing 5 regularly, I would get a center console bay boat.

Post Thanks / Like

×2 on the bay boat 3 people will be all you want in the boats you mentioned. Got a friend that had a big family he has a 21ft bay boat works great for him.

Post Thanks / Like

Check out the Carolina Skiff boats. There 19' will hold 9 people

Post Thanks / Like

If it is a bayboat you want to consider pm feelay on the Mississippi board. He has one and could give you good info on the boat as he guides out of one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast