Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie needs Fall Crappie fishing tips!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Newbie needs Fall Crappie fishing tips!

Hey guys! i am new to this site and new to crappie fishing for the most part! i catfish most of the summer, and do well at that but i know very little about crappie fishing other then finding them on log lay downs in the spring.

I am going to start hitting the crappies hard starting this week.

I am just asking for some tips for this fall to better my chances and getting into a couple schools of crappie's.

I own a 14 ft alumacraft boat with a 30 hp motor. not the best "crappie boat" but i am sure it will get the job done.

right now i got 2 rigs i tied up that i think will work. 1. a slip bobber with a 1/8 ounce jig with a small tube tied on. Also has a bare hook tied 18 inches above that i will put minnow on incase they want minnow instead of jig. 2. is the same without the slip bobber.

would you also put a minnow on the jig? or is that 2 beefy of a presentation?

thinking of trying around the docks in the marina this thursday. is it to early for that?

any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Docks are hot in the fall. I've already been catching them. I've just been using a jig and shooting the docks.
    Likes KurtManning6 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

OK, I'm a newbie too but the above post speaks volumes. Crappie love structure. Crappie do not like bright sunlit water. They hover over brushpiles and under docks spring and summer. When the water gets too warm or too sunny they find deeper cover. It's not unusual to find them in 30 feet of water over, you guessed it brushpiles. I'd like to hear an old hand elaborate, as my knowledge is somewhat rudimentary. How about it guys, any slabmasters wanna share?
    Yakety-yak

Post Thanks / Like

I have been catching Crappie in shallow water, 4 to 6' in the mornings around grass banks, drop offs, shallow structure or dams, as soon as the sun comes up, they leave for deeper water. They are usually in deeper water 10/12' close to cover. they are gathering into larger schools now. The bite is slow till late afternoon for me. I use tube jigs with nibbles. My favorite method 1s a slip cork above jig. Casting away from boat. You have to decide the retrieval method by trial. I let sit for 10seconds and then lightly pop back in. Sometimes a slow retrieve is the answer.

Post Thanks / Like

P.S- Your 14ft boat is fine, the Crappie do not care, enjoy the journey.
    Likes crappiejigger, KurtManning6 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Checkout the "Best advice" columns that were posted on the main page. Some very good information for anyone starting out with Crappie fishing!!!

There you go Slab.... see what I did there!!!
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"

Post Thanks / Like

Start on the brush/trees just outside the coves. Move to the first tree in the cove. Right about now that is where they are in central IL.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

what do you mean by cove?

I see alot of people in here talking about lakes...

i personally fish the mississippi river beings its 5 mins from my house

Post Thanks / Like

Let's see if I can define it in a way you will understand, without graphics.

Cove- A cove is the body of water located between two fingers that extend into the body of water (lake or river). Some coves have a creek/stream/river that feed water to the lake/river.

For more information I highly recommend an Orientation Course with map and land navigation, including the use of a compass. What you see above water is also below water. Understanding natural structure will put you on more fish. Fish relate to structure as they move around the body of water they live in. Fish have highways and follow them, knowing how to read a map will help you find those highways and greatly increase your fishing success from season to season.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KurtManning6 View Post
    what do you mean by cove?

I see alot of people in here talking about lakes...

i personally fish the mississippi river beings its 5 mins from my house
    If you will be crappie fishing in the river, I assume you will need to look for spots where the crappies can ambush baitfish and yet the crappies will try to avoid the current. In other words, on the downstream side of jetties, laydown trees, docks, rocks, etc. Slow current areas like oxbows maybe? There are some guys here who fish in rivers and they will help you
    Likes KurtManning6, RiverSlabber LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast