Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Size of braid to use

Post Thanks / Like

Default Size of braid to use

I know it's probably on the sight somewhere but can't find it. And I need to put new line on my poles tomorrow. I use magda 15 line counter reels if I want to use braid what size would I need to get so the counter will still be accurate. Thanks.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use power pro in 10/2 but lots use the 20lb. Lose less cranks with the 20. Rees Guide uses a power pro something hunter braid that is color graduated to eliminate the need for line counter reels. All good stuff.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Will the bqndit dive chart still work with braid or will the crank bait dive different with braid.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Power Pro Depth Hunter braid in a 20/6. Rees uses the 40/10.
    We only sell the Best. Ranger, Xpress, Yamaha, Suzuki, Tohatsu.

Post Thanks / Like

I use power pro 10/2 on all of my walleye trolling rigs. Okuma magda 20's and 30's.

I use Precision trolling data for most of my trolling applications.

I just pulled up the Bandit 300 series (as an example). To run a 300 series at 8ft you would need 19 feet of 10/2 braid. Conversely, you would need 25 feet of 10lb mono to reach the same depth.

If you are not familiar, Precision Trolling data used to be a book that was published with all the tops baits and their specific dive curves. They have since gone digital and almost all bait are available. They have an app for Android and I-phone that you can download (free of charge). You can purchase the entire package of all lures in their catalog (with charges) for one set price (around 65 bucks) OR, you are able to pick and choose the specific lures you use and download those lures for a flat fee. I utilize many different cranks and lipped baits for trolling (walleye, crappie, etc...) so I have the entire package of lures.

It will show you an example of the bait (a picture), and have drop down charts. The line chart will have either Berkley 10# xt or Berkley 10# Fire line. We have found that 10# in either mono or braid correlates to the same as Berkley so you don't need to be concerned with buying that specific line. Most guys run the same size braid to ensure their dive chart matches. One you choose your line, you can choose the number of feet down you want to go and it will automatically tell you the number of feet back. Additionally, if you were previously running a bait at a set number of feet back, you can choose that and it will tell you exactly how deep you were running your bait.

I don't work for the company or get anything for telling anyone about it. For trolling, they are known as "The trollers bible". I do know some of the guys that actually test and develop the dive curves. Many of them are done with actual divers in the water observing the baits as they go through the column. Pretty interesting stuff in my opinion.

Hope that helps
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"
    Likes Lonnie84 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I re-read your post and had an additional comment. As a Salmon fisherman, walleye fisherman, and person that trolls a ton every year, I will tell you that line counter reels ALL need to be calibrated. IF you don't have the required amount of line on them, they won't be accurate. For me, I usually put on 200 to 400 yards of a backer material (usually Berkley 10# mono). I tie a blood knot and mend in the additional amount of braid recommended to fill the reel. Once done, I will hit my clicker, count out 10ft and then measure it. I do this back to 100 feet and see what I get. Most of the rods are different and I usually put a piece of tap on the reel or the rod to let me know how off the reel is.

Most fish hit "up" in the column so I would rather be a little high than low. Cranks is all about getting the bait at the correct depth. With the information in precision trolling, it means nothing if your counter is off on your reel.

To combat this, I recommend purchasing "Power Pro Metered line". If memory serves me, the line is colored and has one color for every 25 feet. In a 100 foot segment, it will have 4 different colors before the pattern repeats itself. Within that one 25 foot segment, there will be black marks every 5 feet. You would be amazed at how far off a counter reel is when you use this line!

We measure our feet back from the moment the bait enters the water. IF we are pulling it behind planner boards, we set our number of feet and then clip the board. We don't care about the feet after that as we adjust the spacing of the boards by sight.
    For us, we don't utilize a leader, we tie our braid directly to a coast lock snap. They seem to give lipped crank baits the best action.
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"
    Likes Lonnie84 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help I was looking bass Pro has a indicator tuff line 2400 yards 40 lb test which is equivalent to 10 of test. For $209.00. Think I'm going to try it. Baits Should run same since its 10 lb test. Thanks again for the help