Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rod holders

Post Thanks / Like

Default rod holders

I use the Attwood holders because they are readily available at Walmart, however I have a dilemma now. I need to purchase some left threaded holders for the left side of my boat. I cant seem to find any left threaded stems made by Attwood. Can anyone give me a lead on where to get some maybe of another brand at a reasonable price. I need 6. Some of those things are really high priced. Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

OK I am totally lost on what you are asking. All my rod holder are right hand threads, but the base is mounted using screws into the gunnel. Are you using the Attwood metal holders that look like the Driftmasters?
    Both sides screw in the same way and lock down using a wing nut.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

Yes SeaRay, I'm using the wire holders like the drift masters. I just have them mounted thru a hole drilled thru angle iron. I put a nut on top and the wing nut on the bottom. When I get a large fish or hung up my rods tend to turn under the load. left handed threads will cure this problem.

Post Thanks / Like

OK here is a possible solution. I had mine mounted through Angle iron on my previous boat. To prevent possible loss due to vibration while trailering I put a nylon locknut on the bottom and I got some Plastic Knobs from Lowes for the top. These gave me a lot more torque over a wing nut and I could tighten enough by hand that it was almost impossible for it to twist, certainly not from a big fish hitting.

Name:  Decboat1.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  40.1 KB

This is what they looked like. Real handy to readjust with the big knob to loosen and tighten with needing pliers or wrench.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men
    Likes huntinslabs LIKED above post

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

One of the sponsors on here and I think it is Yadkinguide sells the drift master with left hand threads. They are the only ones I know of with the left hand thread you need. Might send him a PM.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Another cheap solution is to just put 2 drop forged wrenches(mine is from india) to lock the nuts in place in the boat and leave em there. About a buck each at the flea market and mine hasn't rusted in the 3 or 4 years it has been in my boat. Steel wing nuts work good in theory but mine didn't lock down near tight enough.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

sinkermaker is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Go to the drift master Webb site they are the only ones that I know that offer left hand threads. A good place to get them is at Monks crappie out of North Carolina
    Likes SeaRay LIKED above post

Etowah, Tn. foothills to the Smokey Mountains
    Post Thanks / Like

I use Spyderlok. They are on the member classified and the people are great to deal with. You can call and talk to a person and tell them what your looking for. In my opinion they are second to none.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by superfly View Post
    I use the Attwood holders because they are readily available at Walmart, however I have a dilemma now. I need to purchase some left threaded holders for the left side of my boat. I cant seem to find any left threaded stems made by Attwood. Can anyone give me a lead on where to get some maybe of another brand at a reasonable price. I need 6. Some of those things are really high priced. Thanks in advance.
    I have the Attwood holders, also. I put a stainless steel flat washer and lock washer and tighten the locknut w/ pliers after I get them adjusted where I want them. No fish that I catch will move that holder.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply. I will definitely give that stainless washer and lock washer a try. that's probably the cheapest and most simple solution to start with. If it doesn't work I'll try some of the other suggestions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast