Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fish Finder Wiring

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fish Finder Wiring

on my 16 foot jon boat i am wanting to add a hummingbird up front of my boat with tranducer mounted to my trolling motor......I have an optima battery at the front of the boat that my trolling motor is wired to and I have one cranking battery in the back that I have my helix and my motor directly wired to. Can I just take some alligator clips and run the wires to the hummingbird im mounting up front to the same battery up front that my trolling motor is ran to? Ive noticed that the wires are not near long enough to reach to the back of the boat from up on the front deck to reach my cranking battery.....

Post Thanks / Like

Not a good idea to have a sonar taking power from the TM battery while using the TM. And really you might be getting some interference on the Helix when the big motor is running. The best set up is to run wire from cranking battery to the front to supply power to the front sonar. Maybe an easier way to say it is that the sonar should be taking power from the battery you are not currently using to avoid RF interference.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

That is one of those deals you will have to try it to find out if it will work. You may or you may not have an interference problem. I don't like connecting electronics to the trolling motor battery because of the high current draw caused by the trolling motor. With that said let me add that I have hooked things up that way and had zero problems but I know of others that did have problems.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

How do you get power cord long enough to reach from front of boat to the back where cranking battery is? None of the units I've ever owned have had enough cord to reach from front to the back
    Southern Life Outdoors Pro Staff

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

You can either splice, solder, and heat shrink more wire to your power cord or you can buy longer power cords from HB. Or....You can just do what your talking about doing and see how it works out for ya.
    Last edited by "G"; 09-21-2015 at 04:09 PM.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes Cray LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tigerinfielder3 View Post
    How do you get power cord long enough to reach from front of boat to the back where cranking battery is? None of the units I've ever owned have had enough cord to reach from front to the back
    Run a wire from your battery and hook to your power cable on unit.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

If the wire is going to run from the back of the boat to the front I recommend you put a fuse in the wire near the battery. You can get a inline fuse holder at a car part store.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCsHOOK View Post
    If the wire is going to run from the back of the boat to the front I recommend you put a fuse in the wire near the battery. You can get a inline fuse holder at a car part store.
    And it needs to be probably a 3 amp size. That is what both my HB and Lowrance called for. Don't need a heavy wire either, the DFs do not pull a lot of current. Look at the size of the wire on the factory power plug to get an idea.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

I've got one deep cycle battery that runs my electronics only and I never have interference any more

That's 2 1100's my 360 and a small magna 2 or the rear of the boat for cat fishing

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

For your application an orange 14 gauge extension cord would work ...just use 2 of the wires inside ...

Don't forget a 3 amp fuse at the battery end ...

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor