Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Makeing adjustments

Post Thanks / Like

Default Makeing adjustments

I have been trolling with the Caps and Colman rig with a ½ oz weight letting the weight all the bottom [20 to 30 ft] then back up until the weight is about 6 inches off the bottom. Lot of the time the fish are shallower [suspending 15ft above the bottom] and I need to make adjustments. My question is what is the best way to make those adjustments? Guess, count the turns on the spinning reel handle, mark the line, and etc? How do you guys make these adjustments as you are trolling to know you are right on top of the crappie?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

The easiest thing to do is mark your line with a permanent marker. I use my 12 rod as a measuring stick. bring the hook to the butt of the rod and you know you are at 12'. Good idea to mark 12' and maybe pull an extra 1 to 2' and mark your line with a different color to distinguish between the marks. Also, good idea to mark it at the spool vs the line at the tip of the rod. Alot easier to see at the spool then at the tip. If they are holding at 15', always keep your bait at or a little above them as they will come up to nab it and will hardly ever go down to hit it. hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like

I have measured from my reel to the first eye on the rod and know it is 16", so from there I just pull out what I need. It works quickly and is a little easier for the shallow stuff. When I'm deep I use the whole rod 14' then pull from the reel for final adjustments.