Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Good time on Lake Murray

Post Thanks / Like

Default Good time on Lake Murray

Only wished I had more time!.. I posted a question in the South Carolina forum as this was my first time visiting this lake yesterday.

Really beautiful and large lake! Didn't do any crappie fishing as my uncle was the one guiding (it's his home lake) but I must admit, the shell crackers I caught looked like bream on STEROIDS! ... I also caught several catfish as well.

As suggested by some, we fished an caught all within 17-25 FOW using worms. First 2 shell crackers I caught, I hadn't noticed the bite so the hook had been swallowed.. Fished with several poles,.. Basically "dead stick" style. Catfish bite was definitely more pronounced. Especially using light tackle & 6# test line. Lots of fun "playing" the fish.

Overall good time. Talked my uncle in investing in new electronic unit (hummingbird with si) before the year is out. His current Lowrance is nearly as old as his Scout boat (1994 but looks practically new). Really need one for this lake!

Hopefully, I will return when the crappie bite is in effect (next year)

FBM

Post Thanks / Like

glad you got to catch a few even if they were not crappie. Nothing wrong with a good mess of Crackers and Cats. Murray can be intimidating because of it's size and lack of natural cover, but it has a good population of all species. Right now it seems the Striper bite is hot. I put in at the dam this morning to check out a couple of things on my boat prior to fishing Friday and the lot was packed with trucks and trailers. Most were striper fishing and the ones I talked with all had done well. Until Sept 30, there is no size restriction so the 16 to 20 inch fish are fair game, and most seem to fit that slot range.
    Glad you got to visit and come back soon.
    PS
    Our Friday trip is also for Shell Crackers. Hope we do as well as you did.
    SeaRay
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

SeaRay,, you're correct. The enormity of the lake can be daunting. We didn't launch by the dam (hope to get a view my next visit). Fished around a few islands and coves. I do see the potential many spots have to offer.

Was about a 2 hour drive (trailer & boat). Didn't hit the water as early as planned.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1442462097615.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  90.6 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Leaving the house....

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Good to hear you enjoy your trip to South Carolina and found some fish willing to bite your hooks
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by STUMP HUNTER View Post
    Good to hear you enjoy your trip to South Carolina and found some fish willing to bite your hooks
    Stump Hunter ... SC is where my Mom side of the family is from (Gramps, aunts and uncles). Me being a city guy, I'm not too fond of snakes and especially the dang gnats! ... LOL