Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Started testing the new Shad Scales from Johnson.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Started testing the new Shad Scales from Johnson.

I have been testing Shad Scales, The chartreuse and the pink. I loaded my jig tubes up and cut a small slit in top of tube for extra bleeding. Both days were real slow but I fished 3 jigs with and 3 jigs without, all chartreuse and black, all fish caught - 8 keepers one day and 13 the next day were on the doctored jigs with Shad Scales, no go on the plan jigs. This is exciting. Next trial verse Crappie Nibbles. Adding fish attractant, makes a big difference on slow days.
    Likes Blackdog40, chaunc, RMGeorge, shipahoy41 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Yep! Good stuff. And if ya got an Academy sports nearby go take a peek. Ours has it on sale for 68 cents a tube. Put a dozen tubes in myboat.

Post Thanks / Like

Does that stuff have to go into a tube, or some other type of dispenser? Can it just be smeared onto a lure?

Post Thanks / Like

It works best for tubes.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool! Im interested to see how they fare against the Crappie Nibbles.
    ><}}}}*> (C.J.)

Post Thanks / Like

I went to a state lake yesterday, the bite was fast for the first 30minutes of daylight, I caught 7 keeper crappie and it was over. I used nibbles and shad scales on a spinning outfit with 1/16oz jigs heads and chartreuse tubes. The big difference is when you cast with nibbles, they fall off. With the Shad scales it is in the tube, so they stay with you a lot longer. I do not work for Johnson, I am just trying to find better way to keep attractant on the jigs. As far as catching ability, they are close.

Post Thanks / Like

I've always had good luck with the nibbles, but they are hard to keep on the hook. Gonna have to try some of the scales. Has anybody tried the bait pump that you can actually inject the nibbles into the tube like the scales?

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vic n View Post
    Does that stuff have to go into a tube, or some other type of dispenser? Can it just be smeared onto a lure?
    Yes. It will last longer in a tube but it will work . Much like the nibbles it seems to work better in clear water . JMO.

Post Thanks / Like

I used the Bait Pump & it works, but it is hard to use, the knob is hard to turn and it is hard to hold pump body and jig tube at same time.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Nibbles stay on better if allowed to dry up a bit before putting them on the hook.

A 10ml Oral Medication Syringe will introduce nibbles or paste scents into the hollow of a tube. A small piece of cotton ball, soaked in spray scent, can be introduced into the hollow of a tube, and it will work much the same as nibbles & pastes.

The "downside" of a Oral Syringe to introduce Nibbles into a tube ... is that the nibbles will dry out over a period of time, even if the syringe is capped. The remedy for that is to remove any remaining Nibble contents from the syringe and place those contents back into the original container jar after each trip. A thorough washing of the syringe will insure that you can reuse it & it will perform well for numerous repeated uses.

... cp

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast