Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: boat ramp

03ironhead Guest

Question boat ramp

need tips and advise on loading and unloading boat by myself.have 17' tracker targa.i dont want to hold others up at the ramp.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 03ironhead
    need tips and advise on loading and unloading boat by myself.have 17' tracker targa.i dont want to hold others up at the ramp.
    Hey Ironhead,

I launch my 21-foot boat every day by myself, without getting my feet wet and it takes less than a minute on the ramp. I get the boat ready to launch out of the way and use about a 6-foot piece of heavy rope with a snap hook on one end and a loop on the other end.

I hook the snap hook on the rope to the bow eye on the boat and hook the loop on the rope onto the snap hook on my winch cable (be sure the winch is locked so that it doesn't unwind). Then I back the boat in until it floats off the trailer and carefully pull the truck forward until the front of the hull rests on ends of the bunk boards.

Then I unhook the rope from the winch and walk out one of the bunk boards to the boat, park the boat beside the ramp and pull the truck/trailer out.

I also added a walk board that goes from the front of the trailer back towards the bunk boards for shallow ramps.

Just be sure and use a heavy rope, keep it in good condition and don't back in too fast or the rope can break and the boat will be on it's own. It also helps to have side guides on the trailer so if there is a side wind it will stay put.

FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake
    Action Fishing Trips
    Last edited by Jerry Blake; 05-28-2004 at 10:50 PM.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Or, there's Plan B

Ironhead - Jerry's got a good method of launching there. I do it different, though.

I have a 17' Tracker and I drive a pickup truck. I can launch or take my boat out as quickly by myself as when I have someone with me. Upon reaching the lake, I park out of the way, lower the motor, take the tie-down straps off the back of the boat, and check to make sure the drain plug is in. I leave the front trailer strap attached tightly to the boat.

Then, I back into the water until the boat is floating, still attached at the front to the trailer. On most ramps, I'd have to get my feet wet to step outside the truck at this point - so instead of that, I open the driver's door of my truck, leave it open, and climb over the bed of the truck to unhook the boat, get in it, and start the motor and park the boat on the bank.

I then return to my truck, climb up the front bumper, over the hood, and get inside to pull the truck up the ramp and park it.

Taking the boat out of the water is about the same. I beach the boat and back the trailer down the ramp. On most ramps I don't have to back in so far to take out as I do to put in. I just park the truck and trailer on the ramp, get in the boat, run it up on the trailer and attach the front hook and tighten the strap while standing on the rear bumper. Then, I go over the truck bed down into the cab and drive to another spot to attach the rear straps and raise the motor.

You can always tell when I've been fishing by myself recently - if my dark blue pickup truck has muddy footprints on the top of the left front fender! - Sam
    Last edited by Sam W.; 05-23-2004 at 08:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sam W.
    Ironhead - Jerry's got a good method of launching there. I do it different, though.

I have a 17' Tracker and I drive a pickup truck. I can launch or take my boat out as quickly by myself as when I have someone with me. Upon reaching the lake, I park out of the way, lower the motor, take the tie-down straps off the back of the boat, and check to make sure the drain plug is in. I leave the front trailer strap attached tightly to the boat.

Then, I back into the water until the boat is floating, still attached at the front to the trailer. On most ramps, I'd have to get my feet wet to step outside the truck at this point - so instead of that, I open the driver's door of my truck, leave it open, and climb over the bed of the truck to unhook the boat, get in it, and start the motor and park the boat on the bank.

I then return to my truck, climb up the front bumper, over the hood, and get inside to pull the truck up the ramp and park it.

Taking the boat out of the water is about the same. I beach the boat and back the trailer down the ramp. On most ramps I don't have to back in so far to take out as I do to put in. I just park the truck and trailer on the ramp, get in the boat, run it up on the trailer and attach the front hook and tighten the strap while standing on the rear bumper. Then, I go over the truck bed down into the cab and drive to another spot to attach the rear straps and raise the motor.

You can always tell when I've been fishing by myself recently - if my dark blue pickup truck has muddy footprints on the top of the left front fender! - Sam
    Hey Sam,

I see guys launching and loading just as you describe and it looks a bit precarious. I came up with my rope system when I was pulling my boat with a conversion van. Until they recently replaced one of the boat ramps I use I had to get in the back door of my van to get back in while loading in the winter time when the lake was drawn down because the van was so far out in the water.

Now that I'm driving a new $36,000 pickup I don't even want to walk in the bed with muddy shoes much less crawl across the hood.

You may want to try my rope trick. Once you get the length right on the rope it works really well and might save you from getting hurt if you should ever slip and fall while climbing in/out of your truck door to/from the bed or hood.

FISH ON!
    Jerry
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat Launching by Myself

I modified this method below. I know use a much longer rope to connect the boat's bow hook to my boat trailer. I don't have to use my trailer rope wrench at all anymore. I unhook the rope wrench rope from the bow hook on my boat and unhook the safey chains as well. The only thing keeping my boat from coming off the boat trailer is friction and the weight of the boat sitting on two 14ft long by 2" wide by 4" tall lumber. These 2x4's are mounted edgewise on my trailer. So my boat won't come off easily. The long rope keep my boat tied to the trailer after the boat floats off the trailer and back out into the lake. The rope is long enough that I can pull the trailer completely out of the water without pulling the boat back to the concrete boat ramp or snapping the rope off the bow hook. I pull up until the back wheels of my boat trailer are out of the water and then I still have a little slack in the rope. The boat will come to a slow stop when the rope tighens up. I then park the truck on the ramp and set the parking break firmly and then get out and grab the rope that is attached to the boat trailer via a hook. I can then just move the rope off the trailer so it does not get caught on anything and then pull the boat back to the ramp and set the boat on the ramp. With the long rope I can reach a railing at the edge of the concrete boat ramp and attach the hook to the railing to secure the boat even better. I park the boat at the edge of the boat ramp and out of the way. It can then go park the vehcile. I just push the boat off the ramp and jump in without ever getting my feet wet or having to walk the gang plank on the trailer. I purchased one of those walkway planks that attaches to the trailer tongue but I don't even need it anymore with the longer rope.

Well I use the same method that Sams uses with the exception that I don't have to get my feet wet.

I stop and get everything ready to go out of the way of others. I also leave the front of the boat tied to the wrench on the trailer. I do unhook the safey chains before backing the boat into the water though. I only use the extra safety chain between the boat and the trailer when hauling the boat out of the water and down the road.

I only have to back the boat in far enough to float the back end a bit. I stop where I can get out of my pickup truck and not get my feet wet. I can easily jump into the bed of my truck and walk to the boat. I lower the trucks tail gate and unhook the rope from the trailers wench that is attached to the boat's front eyehook. The boat is free now. I jump into the front of the boat from the trailer and then start the boat up and back off the trailer and then park the boat at the dock or on the bank next to the ramp. I hop out of the boat and get back in the truck and then pull the truck and trailer out of the water and go park it in the parking lot. I walk back down the ramp to my boat and get in and off I go.

At the end of the day I just reverse the procedure.

I never stop and play around at the boat ramp.

Also make sure that you leave as much room for other boat to get in and out. ie if there are three lanes on the boat ramp try not to take up two of the lanes. LOL That will get others really mad at you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Blake
    Hey Sam,

I see guys launching and loading just as you describe and it looks a bit precarious. I came up with my rope system when I was pulling my boat with a conversion van. Until they recently replaced one of the boat ramps I use I had to get in the back door of my van to get back in while loading in the winter time when the lake was drawn down because the van was so far out in the water.

Now that I'm driving a new $36,000 pickup I don't even want to walk in the bed with muddy shoes much less crawl across the hood.

You may want to try my rope trick. Once you get the length right on the rope it works really well and might save you from getting hurt if you should ever slip and fall while climbing in/out of your truck door to/from the bed or hood.

FISH ON!
    Jerry
    Last edited by Moose1am; 08-20-2005 at 11:16 AM.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up One man launch

My method is a lot like Jerry's, but a little different so I thought I would mention it too.

I drive a Suburban, and I like to keep my little feet dry too! :D
    After getting everything else ready to go, I let out five feet of slack winch strap, leave it hooked to the boat, and make sure to "re-engage" the winch before backing down the ramp.

I ease the boat into the water slowly, until it floats off the trailer and pulls the slack out of the winch strap. Then I ease forward until the nose of the boat settles in the middle of the bunks, and becomes slightly stable while the rest of the boat floats. (I have side guide-bunks also)

I walk back to the left rear tire of the Suburban which is on dry ground, step up on the tire with my left foot as I grab the luggage rack with my left hand, step onto the bumper with my right foot while holding the luggage rack with both hands, two step shuffle to the right, then I step down onto the boat trailer just behind the hitch. Unhook the strap, then step into the nose of the boat, start the motor and pull over to the dock.

In the winter time I usually just let out more slack because the water is shallower around the ramp. Then I use the strap to steady myself in between the truck and the boat, much like a high wire act at the circus, as I make a perilous descent on a narrow, yet slippery trailer beam above the icy cold water. It is at that precise moment, sometime next winter, I will wake up for a second, and wonder......... Why don't I just do "the smart thing" and install a walkway platform like my buddy Jerry did???

"I'll see you at the lake!"

Mike Simpson
    I may have a "Crappie" job, but you should see my office!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Launching

Jerry - I don't have those kind of boards on my trailer, and I drive a 10 year old pickup, so my launch method works fine for me. Different equipment would make it different, I guess. Crappie fishermen are adaptable.

At least I'm a lot more prudent than a fellow I met at a launch ramp about a month ago. It's an isolated ramp and there was no one else around. I had already launched my boat, had it pulled up on the bank, and was returning from having parked my truck.

A fellow with a REAL nice truck and bass boat came tearing into the parking area, took all the trailer straps off his boat, and backed down the ramp about 10 mph. He launched his boat, with no one in it, 'way out into the lake so it was about 70 yards out and heading for the other side with the wind.

By this time I was in my boat and afloat again, and he parked his truck, walked down to the ramp, and hollered "Hey, would you take me out to my boat?"

I didn't mind doing it, of course - but I thought it wasn't very smart of him. Someday, someone may turn him down on that deal, and he'll be left standing there watching his $20,000 Ranger and all his tackle going to visit Arkansas without him!

I know why he does that, though. It's a fancy fiberglass boat, there's no dock, and when he's alone he doesn't want to beach the boat while he parks his truck. We don't have rocky dirt in the Ozarks, we just have dirty rocks. - Sam

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Simpson
    My method is a lot like Jerry's, but a little different so I thought I would mention it too.

I drive a Suburban, and I like to keep my little feet dry too! :D
    After getting everything else ready to go, I let out five feet of slack winch strap, leave it hooked to the boat, and make sure to "re-engage" the winch before backing down the ramp.

I ease the boat into the water slowly, until it floats off the trailer and pulls the slack out of the winch strap. Then I ease forward until the nose of the boat settles in the middle of the bunks, and becomes slightly stable while the rest of the boat floats. (I have side guide-bunks also)

I walk back to the left rear tire of the Suburban which is on dry ground, step up on the tire with my left foot as I grab the luggage rack with my left hand, step onto the bumper with my right foot while holding the luggage rack with both hands, two step shuffle to the right, then I step down onto the boat trailer just behind the hitch. Unhook the strap, then step into the nose of the boat, start the motor and pull over to the dock.

In the winter time I usually just let out more slack because the water is shallower around the ramp. Then I use the strap to steady myself in between the truck and the boat, much like a high wire act at the circus, as I make a perilous descent on a narrow, yet slippery trailer beam above the icy cold water. It is at that precise moment, sometime next winter, I will wake up for a second, and wonder......... Why don't I just do "the smart thing" and install a walkway platform like my buddy Jerry did???

"I'll see you at the lake!"

Mike Simpson
    Hey Mike,

I had to replace one of my 2 x 6 bunk boards because it was split on one end so I used the good end of the old one to make the walk board. I just drilled 1/4" holes in four placed in the board and through the top of the channel on the trailer frame and bolted it down with carriage bolts. I carpeted it like the bunk boards so it's "non-slip". Makes it real easy to walk out to the boat.

FISH ON!
    Jerry
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Blake
    Hey Mike,

I had to replace one of my 2 x 6 bunk boards because it was split on one end so I used the good end of the old one to make the walk board. I just drilled 1/4" holes in four placed in the board and through the top of the channel on the trailer frame and bolted it down with carriage bolts. I carpeted it like the bunk boards so it's "non-slip". Makes it real easy to walk out to the boat.

FISH ON!
    Jerry
    A friend of mine was loading his boat this weekend and slipped and fell from the bed of his truck to the concrete boat ramp after climbing from the boat to the bed of the truck.

He’s in his 60s, a bit heavy set and has two artificial knees so he doesn’t need to be doing any sudden stops on concrete - “it’s not the fall the hurts, it’s the sudden stop at the end”.

He went to the emergency room and they didn’t find any broken bones but he is pretty banged up. He was at his doctor’s office when I talked to him today to have some swelling in one of his legs checked out and to make sure his wrist isn’t broken.

I guess I didn’t mention earlier in this thread that when loading my boat the bow is over dry land so I can step onto the end of the walk board and then down to the ground without having to climb into the bed of my truck or get my feet wet.

Anyway, just be careful on the boat ramp, don’t get in a hurry just because you are holding up someone else (or it’s already past the time you told your wife you would be home) and stay in one piece.

FISH ON!

Jerry
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Jerry,
    Sounds like you had a good idea with using part of that board to make a walk plank!

I didn't mention it, but when I step off my bumper to the boat trailer I have a nice dry and stable place to stand too. It is where the two side rails come together and form the "A" at the front end of the trailer. In the winter is when I really need something better, like your walkway, because I have to do the balancing act down one rail or the other!

I think this is a great thread, and this is a very important issue, especially because a person doesn't usually consider this type of "boat ramp safety" to be very important until something happens to them, or somebody they know, such as your friend. (At least I didn't, until I took two nasty falls at the end of an icy boat ramp a couple of winters ago!)

With the "big weekend" (and season) approaching, be sure to offer a friendly "heads up" or help others when they allow it, and give them plenty of distance when they don't!

I hope your buddy makes a fast and complete recovery, Jerry. And thanks for sharing the good advice.

"Let's be careful out there!" (Hill Street Blues)

"I'll see you at the lake" :D (Mike Simpson)

Mike Simpson
    Last edited by Mike Simpson; 05-25-2004 at 04:04 AM.
    I may have a "Crappie" job, but you should see my office!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast