Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New jig pole

Post Thanks / Like

Default New jig pole

I bought a new BnM Graphite jig pole, 11 ft from WalMart last week on sale. Put a little inexpensive spinning reel on it and on my first trip with it I broke it about a foot down from the tip. I was clearing a line tangle at the tip, holding it where it broke with my left hand. I guess I must have put it a bind of some kind but I don't think it should have broken that easy. What's up with that.
    Every day is a holiday and every meal is a picnic.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tony the Tiger View Post
    I bought a new BnM Graphite jig pole, 11 ft from WalMart last week on sale. Put a little inexpensive spinning reel on it and on my first trip with it I broke it about a foot down from the tip. I was clearing a line tangle at the tip, holding it where it broke with my left hand. I guess I must have put it a bind of some kind but I don't think it should have broken that easy. What's up with that.
    Could be a bad batch of blanks, rough treatment while in storage or on store shelf, or any number of reasons.
    I'd take it back to Wal-mart & exchange it.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tony the Tiger View Post
    I was clearing a line tangle at the tip, holding it where it broke with my left hand.

Anytime you hold the blank anywhere other than the handle, you're taking a chance. It completely changes the stress on the blank and risks a break.

That being said, it doesn't take much to damage a thin, graphite blank. A lot of bad things can happen on that long boat trip from China.

Post Thanks / Like

I did a little reading about graphite poles and they do sound like they are kinda delicate. Didn't save my recipe for returning. I did send an E Mail to BnM when I got home yesterday about where to get a replacement piece. I explained to them what happened so I'll see where that goes.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Take it back to Walmart they should give you a credit on a store card then go get another one.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes theygotaeat, skeetbum LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Ditto on the return to wally thing. I can say that I have 10 or more BGJP's and don't baby them even a little. I have hung them and had them bent way further than they were designed for and so far so good. The tip breaking is common an these long rods for various reasons but every rod I've broken I have caused the problem. BnM has a good reputation for standing behind their stuff, I'm interested in seeing how you are treated as well.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

"D" is offline Super Moderator and 2023 Crappie.Com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the take it back. They will credit you. You can get the replacement halves from Grizzly jig also.
    Team Overalls Travel Squad

FISH for LIFE

HUMANKIND......be both

Post Thanks / Like

Better buy a couple of extra tips, as that wont be the last one that you break! Those rods are notorious for it. Pm NIMROD on here for a deal on some tips and lightly used rods. He quit using them for that very reason.
    ><}}}}*> (C.J.)
    Likes NIMROD LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks fellers, I think I go to Wal Mart today when I get home from fishing. Also interested in what BnM has to say.

Post Thanks / Like

Walmart is a good company, and they probably will take it back. However, I don't see how it's their fault. They didn't make it, and they didn't break it.

I'd talk to BnM first.

Just my

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast