Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Trolling crankbaits

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling crankbaits

Good morning everyone,to those that trolled crankbaits do u see a difference in pulling and pushing. Might be the lakes I fished but seem's like the pushing trolling is not as effective as the pulling. Anyone else have this problem. Have a good day.
    LittleJohn

Post Thanks / Like

i have better luck pulling,but i also fish out of a friends boat and he pushes 4 while i`m pulling 4.He usually catches as many as i do when were in his boat,the main advantage of pushing is you can get the baits deeper than when pulling when the fish are deeper.
    Likes Pico, skeetbum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

On my home lake in east central MS, I catch as many pushing as I do pulling. I have 4 poles pushing and 4 pulling. I've noticed when in water 10 ft deep or less, my pushing poles are more active and in deeper than 10 ft, I do better pulling. I believe that's because I'm pushing out the front of the boat and when I let out more line for deeper water, my bait is more under the boat. The 3 oz pushing weight will also work off the sides or rear of the boat which would work like a downrigger.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    ScottV's Custom Crappie Cranks
    Crankbait Pushing Weights
    Likes "G", Pico LIKED above post

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Pushing for me works better in shallow water....you can also run any depth range crankbait at what ever shallow depth you want to run because the depth is controlled with the weight. For deep water cranking, I would rather pull.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes Pico LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

yes I see differences. I do both but put out more rods on which ever method is working better that day. Not sure why one works better than others most of the time. I do tend to push more when fish are shallower or following tight balls of bait, but generally pulling works better when fish are scattered on the flats.

Post Thanks / Like

I would say my pullin to pushin is 10 to 1. I will catch 10 pullin to 1 pushing. No explanation.

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA

Post Thanks / Like

Same as above 10 to 1. With 10 on the pulling side.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I also have done both at the same time with 4 up front and as many as 6 pulling and had all rods busy. There are days when one does better than others but for no apparent reason. The ability to change depth quickly when pushing makes setting up the pattern works better for me, and the ability to turn around quicker also helps. One other advantage is being able to run a smaller bait at any depth I really like, little baits really cook some days.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

To me there are 3 advantages to pushing crankbaits. One is like G said, the ability to fish a shallow running bait deeper. Another is the ability to fish around cover. In some of the sloughs around here, there's no way you could pull cranks in a straight line. If you were only pushing cranks though, you could maneuver around the obstacles. And last is the fact that you can have more baits in the water without so many long lines behind the boat to become tangled.
    ScottV's Custom Crappie Cranks
    Crankbait Pushing Weights
    Likes armyman, "G" LIKED above post

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I ain't no good at doing either method. I get more bites from the brush than the cranks. I try though.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes "G" LIKED above post