Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: big crappie breaks my line, line suggestions please

Post Thanks / Like

Default big crappie breaks my line, line suggestions please

hi to everybody, i love to fish, im from Puerto RIco and have been fishing for 18 years(since i had 6 years). i fish from the shore and we mainly fish for bass or crappie, sometimes catfish.

currently i use a Ande 10# pink line. today i went fishing to my local lake(Yauco, Puerto Rico) so im using crawfish and i managed to hook a 2 pounder(maybe3) crappie. i recognize i was a bit tough on the line but i didnt expect a 10# line to break with a 2# fish, anyways i consider this line sucks, it has high memory and most of the time it becomes a mess. worse of all is i took the fish up the top of the water and there it broke with me watching the happy fish escape. beside that i didnt catch anything else, but my wife caught another smaller crappie.

i went looking thru bass pro catalogs and i dont know what line to buy, theres a lot of em, some are just too pricey, i dont know about their memory, and i dont know if i should keep using mono or if i shoud go to braid lines. beside crappie we fish most of the species in the lake(crappie. blk crappie, catfish, largemouth bass, smallmouth and ??? guavina(dont know the translation name). anyways i want a light yet strong, high disapearing, 10 or 12# line. any suggestions??
    Last edited by prjavelin; 01-14-2007 at 07:55 PM.
    "like cattle in a field the emotionless children just froze. I must have been a site. 4 day beard no shirt covered in mud with dried blood covered leg. man"

"are you OK you look terrible. I slurred a few syllables at her and she looked aghast and shocked as I ran off down the road. To this day, I dont know what I said to her or who the hell it was. I think I spoke in tongues to her with the action afterwards, who the hell knows"

http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showthread.php?t=8839

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, sorry that you lost such a good crappie. I have been using Ande for a while now and like it very much. I use 6# and have never had any problem with it. I do, however, keep my line fresh. If I find that the line is becoming brittle I peel of 10 or so feet and tie my jig on from there. I also use Berkley XT 8# and I've found that it is very durable and withstands the weather very well. If it was my guess, I'd say that your line had a nick in it somewhere or that the sun degraded it a little. I'd respool with new Ande or try the Berkley XT.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

i dont systematically refresh my lines i just use em until its very bad or its messed up then i cut couple feets and keep going. guess from now on i will take care of that.

i was also thinking about trilene either xl or tl(read maxx is very bad quality). most of the time our family stick up to a 10# or 15# line because of the constant change on lures on to different fish. plus the lines here gets stuck a lot because of lake weed and logs and stuff. and the price of xl-tl :D ...i like

thanks for the reply!!!!

any other suggestions??
    "like cattle in a field the emotionless children just froze. I must have been a site. 4 day beard no shirt covered in mud with dried blood covered leg. man"

"are you OK you look terrible. I slurred a few syllables at her and she looked aghast and shocked as I ran off down the road. To this day, I dont know what I said to her or who the hell it was. I think I spoke in tongues to her with the action afterwards, who the hell knows"

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

I hate to promote his stuff...but wally marshall mr. crappie line from BPS is the toughest mono i ever used. The 6 pound is almost unbreakable when snagged. You can hoist large crappie and bass out of the water without breaking it.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

You can't go wrong with trilene XL. I have been useing this line for years and have not found a better line that works for me. it is a cheaper line also. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

hey what about cajun lines?? or spider wire??

its just that im thinking about something the local walmart/kmart(please dont bash me on this) has so i can fish next satursday. i cant order from a catalog if its something i need now.

any other brands??

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I did it again. The Trilene is a Berkley product -- Berkley's Trilene XL.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

P-Line Flourocarbon is the best on the market. Trust me please...............
    I have 6 three pounders on the wall and all were caught on on P-Line. I have caught alot of catfish and gar while trolling in the 10-15lb range and not a break yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by crappiefarmer
    You can't go wrong with trilene XL. I have been useing this line for years and have not found a better line that works for me. it is a cheaper line also. CF
    Trilene 6# XL & XT is all I use! :D
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by possumcop
    P-Line Flourocarbon is the best on the market. Trust me please...............
    I have 6 three pounders on the wall and all were caught on on P-Line. I have caught alot of catfish and gar while trolling in the 10-15lb range and not a break yet.
    i saw it, and read a couple good reviews on that type of line, the only drawback its that its a little expensive for a line......its like double the price of the mono, lets see what happens with this new mono brand i will buy and if i dont like it ill step up to the more expensive line.

thx for the input.

nothing on spiderwire or cajun??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast