Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Where do you want the best one?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Where do you want the best one?

Looking for input on bow or console mount for the best hummingbird. I have been running two helix 5 di GPS this year and really like them. I found a deal on an 1199 hd and was wondering if I should mount it on the bow or console. Input appreciated. I see advantages to having it both places, but another one isn't in the budget right now.

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

I run a 1198 at the console, it works great for me. I can drive and scan, then mark a waypoint and jump up front to really check it out on a 999.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 - 798's and though the same model they are slightly different. I use the one I think is better up front and the other at the console. Just a word to the wise; I was changing places with the good one in my hand and stumbled and lost my balance and it almost went for a swim. I'm not a fan of moving one from station to station anywhere but at the ramp.
    If I had a larger screen it would probably be on the console and my better one would stay at the nose. I tried the interlink and found I preferred updating them between each other from time to time. I like having the antenna right where I'm fishing and my units wanted to share one antenna that due to cable length was the one in the rear which didn't help me find waypoints up front very well. Good luck with it.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely put the 1199 at the console. The split screen view of GPS and sonar is best for navigating. SI is also best when idling with outboard. I would put the 1199 on a large RAM mount at console and turn it towards the bow when I am up front for a while. The larger screen will be easily seen.
    Likes Hanr3 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

My bigger one (HDS 10) is at the helm while I have an HDS 7 at the bow. I would say it depends on how you fish. I'm not always crappie fishing. Sometimes I'm fishing walleye or salmon and spend a good portion of time at the helm. I run split and tri screen a lot so the 10 works great for me in that location. The 7 up front is all that I need. Great size for doing one screen or running a split if I need to. I have RAM mounts for both of mine however I have a larger RAM for my 10 so I could not swap them if I wanted/needed to. Also, because I have a walk through windshield, there is no way I could turn the HDS 10 around to see from the bow.
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappielimits View Post
    Definitely put the 1199 at the console. The split screen view of GPS and sonar is best for navigating. SI is also best when idling with outboard. I would put the 1199 on a large RAM mount at console and turn it towards the bow when I am up front for a while. The larger screen will be easily seen.
    ^This
    A man remembered never dies.

dallman is offline Trophy King II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have an 1199 it is mounted just in front of the console but do have another ball up front to use it there if not trolling. I have 6 foot of cable in in that stuff that hods wires and I move back and forth and very seldom move it on the water.

Don
    Retired USN

chaunc is online now 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have my 10" bird up in the bow where I spend all my time. I have a 997 on the console. The big screen is better for my old eyes. The 997 does everything that the other one does so I don't lose anything with it there.

Post Thanks / Like

I too mount my bigger unit at the tiller council, and the smaller unit up front. I also turn my bigger unit around when I fish from the bow. Plus my partner can see both as well. He can find his own answers this way.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!