Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broke a favorite rod? I discovered a method that makes it useful again.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Broke a favorite rod? I discovered a method that makes it useful again.

Broke two rods - one on Sat., one on Sun. Must have been the heat (and a bit of pure stupidity!!!) Anyways, I found a way to make them almost as good as new.

The snapped ends were clean and smooth. They can't have splits in them or the method won't work.
    1. I applied Super Glue to the surfaces that would line up with one blank on top of the other. In my case, a 2" overlap only shorted the light action rod by - you guessed it - 2". The guides must be in line as you work quickly because once the glue sets, there's no adjusting guide alignment.
    2. I take two zip ties and attach one on each cut blank end of the blanks that are stuck together.
    3. I then wrap electrical tap in the center between the two zip ties.

I've tested the bend of both rods. One was a 6'6" light action, the other a 6' 6" medium light. Both bent beautifully and cast long distances. I tried both, casting lures in my weedy pond and the lures jerked through the weeds easily with either rod.

Every year I do some lame brain thing to bust a rod or two, but now have a way to resurrect some where the break is within 8" of the rod tip. I can post pictures if anyone is interested.

Post Thanks / Like

This is my method for rod tip repair.
    I measured the rod tip where it is broken, order some BRASS ROD TUBING with the internal dia. the next size larger than the largest dia of the broken tip. The length of the tubing used can make the rod longer, just don't over do it.
    I had to sand down the dia of the larger end some to make it a good fit. For an adhesive, you can use super glue, E-6000 (which is an excellent adhesive)

Post Thanks / Like

Great ideas for sure.

One thing I did not know though, is they do sell replacements tips. And when I say tips, I mean the front half of a two piece rod. I heard this before, and I always thought it was just a short piece of tip, not the whole half. I assumed incorrectly, and now know it's the whole half, which makes it kinda nice and like a whole new rod. Just something I thought of while I read this repair thread.
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I save old rods that have been broke beyond repair...What I do if I break a rod...usually near the tip end is this.....I take a dremel tool with a cut off wheel and cut out the broke place to square up the ends....then I take a piece of a old rod that is a smaller dia that will fit inside of the rod being repaired.....Usually about a 4 in. long piece.....apply epoxy to half of it and slide inside of one half of the broken rod....let epoxy set....then scrape off any excess epoxy that ran out....now put epoxy on the remaining half of your splice pies and line up other part of rod and slide over it untill it butts up against the other half...let set untill epoxy cured out....makes a nice looking repair because its inside the rod and you cannot see it. Works great and no noticeable change in the action.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes Cane Pole LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Depending on how much of the tip is broke off, if it is just the tip I will replace the tip with a new one that you can purchase at Wal-Mart. They come 3 tips to a package. It won't change the action at all and you will only lose a couple of inches of the length.
    If the rod breaks past the first guide from the tip I will cut them off with a dremel and take a wooden broom handle and cut it about a foot long. I will drill a hole in the handle and then glue and insert the rod into the handle. I use these for ice fishing in the winter. You can add a small reel to the handle an use electric tape to fasten it to the handle or you can drill a couple of holes in the handle at an angle about 4 inches apart and add a 1 inch piece of dowel in the holes to wind the line onto to, to hold the line.
    If the broken piece is long enough I will cut the handle off the rod and reuse it on the end of the rod that I save. If there are any guides that are good I will cut them off and save them if I have a broken guide I can replace them. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting! Usually when I break a rod I go all Mike Iconelli and beat it against everything in the boat until it just splinters and pull the reel off and pitch in garbage when I get back to ramp. I can deal with tangles and a lot of things, but usually a broken rod is my own stupidity and I loose it. Rod gets the brunt of my aggravation.
    Likes Billbob, "D" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Slab - I wonder if I could have gotten a replacement half for my Pleuger spinning rod before I repaired it. (actually I found it in the garbage can at a lake I fish and did the repair.) In any case here a some photos of both rods - one showing a full arc when bent.

I'm wondering if the metal tube might restrict the arc of the rod. Still sounds like a good idea for using 3-5" tubes to join the two parts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonminnow View Post
    Slab - I wonder if I could have gotten a replacement half for my Pleuger spinning rod before I repaired it. (actually I found it in the garbage can at a lake I fish and did the repair.) In any case here a some photos of both rods - one showing a full arc when bent.

I'm wondering if the metal tube might restrict the arc of the rod. Still sounds like a good idea for using 3-5" tubes to join the two parts.
    As you can see in my photo, I used a length of tubing about 3 inches long. The length and placement( where broken) can have a slight impact on the arc. You would have to be sure that all of the splintered fibers in the rod were captured within the tubing, to ensure that it did not again splinter.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by "G" View Post
    I save old rods that have been broke beyond repair...What I do if I break a rod...usually near the tip end is this.....I take a dremel tool with a cut off wheel and cut out the broke place to square up the ends....then I take a piece of a old rod that is a smaller dia that will fit inside of the rod being repaired.....Usually about a 4 in. long piece.....apply epoxy to half of it and slide inside of one half of the broken rod....let epoxy set....then scrape off any excess epoxy that ran out....now put epoxy on the remaining half of your splice pies and line up other part of rod and slide over it untill it butts up against the other half...let set untill epoxy cured out....makes a nice looking repair because its inside the rod and you cannot see it. Works great and no noticeable change in the action.
    Me do same Kemosabe.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Fly caster - great idea for blanks that have splintered but not too much in order to be fixed with the tube. Good to know the arc is not affected and the rod still maintains the desired action.

Who sells the metal tube? I found 1/8" K&S tubing on Amazon.
    Last edited by Spoonminnow; 09-08-2015 at 03:59 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast