Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice (HELP)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need advice (HELP)

I would like to know how everyboby fishes in the WIND I just don't seem to be having any luck with it. . I've anchoring, I tried drifting and I just can't get it. What am I missing?? Is there a set-up for fishing in the wind??
    Any and all help will be great help to me, thanks all, for all the help.
    Alan
    ------------------
    Tight Lines to all
    Roll Tide Roll

Post Thanks / Like

I use 2 jigs on line 1/16th on top 1/8 on bottom and drift the boat threw the cover i want to fish. use 2 poles in holders or one in each hand. hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like

The wind can be good or bad depending on where the fish are located on that particular day. If it is a significant wind and has only been blowing for a day you can probably find the fish where you would expect under normal circumstances. On the other hand the wind tends to drive baitfish to a windblown bank after a day or two of blowing hard. I have learned this lesson the hard way.
    One way to approach fishing in the wind is drift with the wind past or through the cover you want to fish. Sometimes you can just use the trolling motor to correct your direction and use the wind as your thrust or power. If the wind is blowing too bad then you may need a drift sock or chain to slow the rate/ speed of the boat.
    Many crappie fishermen tend to like hand controlled trolling motors over foot controlled. Both have good and bad qualities but in this instance the foot controlled trolling motor stands out above the hand controlled in my opinon. A foot controlled trolling motor by its nature allows you to fish without having to stop and make corrections with the motor. When you are fishing in the wind you need to be focused on the structure you want to fish because you may only get one or two casts before you have to adjust your boat position again. Hence, a foot controlled motor gives you the ability to do more fishing and less stopping for boat correction during windy conditions.
    DO NOT overlooked wind blown coves or points especially if the water has become murky around the bank. Off colored water around the bank tells you that the wind has been pounding that bank for a while and it is the first place I stop during windy conditions. It may not work everytime but chances are thier are fish stacked up there.
    Buy the BIGGEST trolling motor you can afford. I don't care what size boat you have. If you can afford an 80# trolling motor for your "14ft. jonboat" then get it. You may not need all that power evertime you hit the water but on windy days when others are packing up and heading for the couch you can still have a great day on the water.

Post Thanks / Like

not knowing where you fish leaves us guessing. shallow water(3ft to12ft) we fish tightlining by running against the wind with our trolling motors. Most of the time we use a 1/8th or 1/4 oz. jigs to keep the feel of the jig on our line. If we locate fish in a top , we either drop anchor or tie up and fish it slowly. Trolling shallow water going against the wind is the best method for controlling your boat and jig. I think presentation this time of the year is a critical factor . Going with the wind, in my opinion, gives a fisherman less control of his presentation, since wind velocity fluctuates drastically, whereas it's easy to control boat speed with an electric motor going against the wind. That's just an old country boy's opinion. Hope this helps. lol.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with wills. It is easier to control the boat in very windy circumstances by trolling against the wind. You just have to have enough motor to hold the boat in those situations.

Post Thanks / Like

Crappiehound has good advice . I am going to add a few things from my experience.
    I fish mostly manmade crappie cover so I try to make sure that I hve them set up so that no matter which way the wind is from I can fish out of the dirrect wind at some of them.
    As important as trolling motor is your boat ... if it sits up hight out of the water you will have a hard time contoling it in the wind.
    I always try to use as small of jig and tube as I can but if it is windy then I use larger so that I can feel the jig and control it.
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like

We place our condos in different areas so we always have somewhere to fish that is at least partially protected from the wind. Then it's a matter of keeping the bow pointed into the wind and using the trolling motor to hold the boat in position or move slowly as needed to keep our bait in the "dining room". I have a 70-pound Minn Kota Maxxum Hand Control TM with a foot switch I can press intermittently as needed and it has plenty of power for my 22-foot Blue Wave. Having a low profile boat that doesn't catch the wind too much helps too.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

I fish the Upper Bear Creek Lake. Behind the the school in Bear Creek AL. I try to fish drop offs and some standing timber. I fish out of a 17' Bass Tracker, keeping the boat in position is not that bad. My problem is I don't seem to be able to feel the bite in the wind.
    May be in my head??? I was catching a few Saturday and Sunday morining then the wind started up and it was like someone turned the switch off.
    Alan
    ------------------
    Tight Lines to all
    Roll Tide Roll

Post Thanks / Like

Many times, the fish will bite better in the wind. It just depends on how much you want to fight it. I can't take my Lowe out on the main lake when it's bad, but I can my Ranger. Having brush to fish for every wind can be a great help or launching close to a protected bank, so you won't have to make a long run or fishing a smaller body of water or the river. I was watching the Bassmaster show several years ago and one of the pro's gave a tip on fishing the wind. He said to wear a jacket with the hood tied, so it doesn't blow around your ears. You would not believe how much it helps.
    jc

Post Thanks / Like

using a heavier jig or tying two jigs on might help. the heavier weight will keep your line taught so it's easier to feel the "bump".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast