Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Shallow Lakes

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shallow Lakes

I posted this in the kayak section but thought I might get some additional replies here.
    In northeastern Pennsylvania we have a lot of small shallow lakes. I saw a new lake today that I immediately fell in love with. Checking it out on the net the last survey that was done the fish commission trapped over night 140+ crappie. Might not be great down south but for a 60 acre lake in this area, that's pretty good. This lake has a maximum depth of 8.2 feet with an average depth of 4.3. Being such a shallow lake what are the method recommendations of fishing for crappie. Your advice is appreciated. Pop

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

minnows or jigs tipped with minnows under a slip cork
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes Hanr3 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

When I fish lakes like that I like to cast a 1/32 Oz Bobby garland on a u.Light rod. But there are a lot of methods that work well.

stormcloud is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Let the lake tell you how you should fish it. Is it an open lake with structure on the banks, or is it an open lake with a clean bottom, or does it have structure through out? All of the methods will work. Use the one that you are most successful with and enjoy fishing the most.
    Tell'em I'll be there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pop View Post
    This lake has a maximum depth of 8.2 feet with an average depth of 4.3.
    Fish will always relate to bottom structure. In a lake like that, a drop off of 1' is like a 10' drop off in deep lake. So, I'd look for the most abrupt depth changes you can find.
    Likes huntinslabs LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Lilly Pads are my go to on a new lake. I find pads that extend to deeper water. Like some said, might only be a foot or two drop off. I fish a slip rig about 1/3 to 1/2 down right next to the pads then throw a 1/32 or 1/16 oz jig tipped with something artificial. Sometimes they hit the slip rig with a minnow, sometimes it is the artificial. I can cover a lot of water this way utilizing two different baits. I love fishing new lakes. The fun is putting what you know to the test to find what you are after. The reward is when it comes together.
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"

Post Thanks / Like

I'd look for shade and cover this time of year.......

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Post Thanks / Like

I'd look for shade and cover this time of year....... Also look for bait fish

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    Fish will always relate to bottom structure. In a lake like that, a drop off of 1' is like a 10' drop off in deep lake. So, I'd look for the most abrupt depth changes you can find.
    This exactly! I fish a lake exactly as you state depth wise and what DBD said is spot on. Even the areas with a prop wash bottom from old barges supplying the old power plant creates enough ridges to stack em up.