Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: How deep is deep

Post Thanks / Like

Default How deep is deep

I posted this on the main board but thought I might reach other folks on the Missouri board.
    You always hear the pro's say I am trolling so many feet down. How do they know how deep they are when the lure is behind them up to 100 feet or more. Is there a way you can know that a specific lure and weight combination will give a specific depth. With all the variables like: Line weight, lure type, bill size and shape, line distance, boat speed, and others I suppose, I don't see how they can say so accurately. Maybe they say that because they are on TV, LOL.

Post Thanks / Like

Experince is the key and i personally dont have much when it comes to pullin cranks,they have a system in that they use the same set up each time out,for example a 300 bandit at 100' behind the boat on 10lb test at 1.5mph will catch fish at 12',basically its a trial and error thing till you start seeing fish on your graph at 12' and start catching them with the formula mentioned above,keep good notes at different speeds and amount of line behind the boat and soon you'll know how deep your baits are running.Its pretty time consuming to get some formulas worked out but once you do....lookout.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Like bugs said it all about trial and error. If you wouldn't mind spending 30 bucks you can buy the precision trolling guide. It has all the dive curves for most of the lures on the market. They have taken the time and figured all out for you. It tells you the line out you need and speed to get the lure down at certian depths.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...rTarget=browse
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

The only way I know exactly how deep is when I'm running Crankbaits off the front of the boat with 2 oz. weight in front of them. As far as pulling off the back, your guess is as good as mine. I keep my poles with the same line to eliminate variables. I put the baits out at different distances. If I catch one, I count the number of turns on the handle. All my reels are the same gear ratio so then I can put the other pulls at the same distance. Most lures do have a general guilde line on the back of the package.
    Standing in the Gap

Post Thanks / Like

I like the idea of keeping track of the line turns. When they hit I can keep a record and put the other baits at the same depth. Thanks for your input folks. I am thinking of buying the troller handbook, it would be handy for an approximate depth.