Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: What rod should I pair up with an Okuma Avenger?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What rod should I pair up with an Okuma Avenger?

Hey guys, I am an avid bass guy that is now in love with crappie fishing, and am a helper with the CFS Fisheries Sciences. I take it that medium to heavy action gear is not welcome here. So I have bought the Okuma Avenger AV-20A-CL. It seems good and is good for a budget. But what rod should I get with it? I aam looking at a Quantum Graphex Medium Light, but any suggestions? Thanks.

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

For a light or ultra-light action spinning rod, I want one that is at least 7 foot unless it is for shooting docks then a shorter one works best for me.

A few years ago I got a catalog from Sportsman's Guide, which is known much more for hunting and military surplus gear. They had a deal on Rapala 7' ultra-light spinning rods for $29.99 each. At that time I didn't know Rapala even made rods and figured it was some cheap knock-off. I ordered one anyway. It is without a doubt the best spinning rod for light line I have ever held and I wish I had a dozen of them. I am a cork handle man and want a rod I can throw a 1/8 oz jig out of sight if necessary on 4-6 pound line.

You would do best to go into a big box outdoor store and handle as many light/ultra-light rods as possible. You will know the one that works when you pick it up.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrdux View Post
    For a light or ultra-light action spinning rod, I want one that is at least 7 foot unless it is for shooting docks then a shorter one works best for me.

You would do best to go into a big box outdoor store and handle as many light/ultra-light rods as possible. You will know the one that works when you pick it up.
    I agree with mrdux ... and would go even farther and suggest taking your reel along with you, in order to match it up with the rods you check out ... to make sure it balances with the rod. Your reel weighs 7.8oz .... so you could pick another reel of the same weight, at the store, if you didn't want to take yours. You want the rod/reel to balance on your finger, when your finger is right at the very front end of the handle.

Lite to med/lite rods in the 6-7ft lengths are good choices for casting purposes. And it would be your choice as to what action you want the rod to have ... slow to extra fast.

Slow action rods have a parabolic bend - like a )
    Fast action rods have a bend more like a J

Personally, I prefer the fast action rods when casting or shooting docks with jigs.

IMHO ... the rod you are considering sounds OK, but if possible I would put the reel on it and the 7' model, to see which one balances best with the reel. A little handle heavy balance isn't too bad, but a rod tip heavy balance will wear on your wrist & forearm, if you cast long hours with it. (but you probably already know that, being a avid Bass angler)

... cp
    Likes IceNitro LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like long, willowly UL rods because usually they seem to break easily. At this rate, I am thinking of buying a Quantum Xtralight Reel and a 6'6" Quatum Xtralight rod. I also am thinking of buying a Shimano IX1000 with a Shakespeare Micro 7' Ultralight, since I know that rod seems sturdy. Any suggestions?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by csen147 View Post
    I don't like long, willowly UL rods because usually they seem to break easily. At this rate, I am thinking of buying a Quantum Xtralight Reel and a 6'6" Quatum Xtralight rod. I also am thinking of buying a Shimano IX1000 with a Shakespeare Micro 7' Ultralight, since I know that rod seems sturdy. Any suggestions?
    Several bad reviews on the Xtralight rod ... being fragile & prone to breaking near the rod tip.

Personally, I'd suggest looking at a 6' Powerlite ESP rod from Norsemen Outdoors, but it might be a bit out of your budget range @ $65 retail (though you may find it cheaper at Grizzly Jig Co., but you'd have to call them because this brand is not advertised on their website)

Now, I will tell you that I was a field tester for ESP rods, so I received mine free ... but, I will also tell you that I've replaced my previous jig casting rod & my dock shooting rod with the ESP rods that I field tested ... simply because they were much better suited to those techniques IMHO.

You can check out the ESP webpage here : Power Lite rods | Shop | ESP™ High Performance Ultra Light Rods by Norsemen Outdoors .... and learn about their features, specs, and retail outlet locations.

Many members have purchased this brand of rod, possibly from my opinion of them, and I haven't heard a negative remark about them, from any of those members. The only "negative" I found with them was the micro guides do not work well with slip float bobber stoppers. But, I don't use slip floats with these rods, so it was a non-issue to me.

... cp

Eagle 1 is online now Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I GOT A 6/8/10 FT. FROM SOUTHERN CRAPPIE . VERY NICE .

Post Thanks / Like

I have put the Okuma on an Ugly Stik. But I am still looking for recommendations for another crappie combo. Right now I am looking at buying either a Lew's Lazer Speed Spin 6'6" spinning combo or a Shimano IX 1000 with a Shakespeare Micro 7' Ultralight. I'm just trying to make this a cheap secondary rod, not to exceed $40. Any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by csen147 View Post
    I'm just trying to make this a cheap secondary rod, not to exceed $40.
    In that price range, they're all made in the same Chinese factory.

Bass Pro Microlite's are good. They're currently listed at $50, but BP puts them on sale frequently.

The Cabela's Pro Guide is on sale now:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/barga...Tz_stype%3DGNU

Other options:

Berkley Lightning Rod
    Berkely Cherrywood