Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: trolling question

Post Thanks / Like

Default trolling question

im gonna try some trolling today when i get out and was hoping for some advice. i dont have anything except some ultra light and medium rods. i hoping to set up to troll 20 to 30 feet down in about 35 to 40 ft of water. with the trolling motor set on the slowest speed how much line do you think ill have to have out? also what type of jigs do most prefer. i was thinking of trying a roadrunner on one rod and maybe a hair jig on another. thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I cast a far as I can then jerk the rod 2 times as the line gets tight to let more line out, I troll 1/6 and 1/32 jigs. I have never trolled at 30 ft depth you might have to go a little heaver to get this depth. Just a thought I think I might tight line at 30 foot. Have fun and Good Luck!!!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Bama647 ............

Quote Originally Posted by bama647
    im gonna try some trolling today when i get out and was hoping for some advice. i dont have anything except some ultra light and medium rods. i hoping to set up to troll 20 to 30 feet down in about 35 to 40 ft of water. with the trolling motor set on the slowest speed how much line do you think ill have to have out? also what type of jigs do most prefer. i was thinking of trying a roadrunner on one rod and maybe a hair jig on another. thanks
    You probably don't have that much line on your UL reels ... LOL!!!

Seriously though, you'd probably need a one half to one ounce weight, to hold a jig or RR down that deep (30ft). I don't know, for sure .... I don't troll for Crappie, that much.
    And I don't know that the "slowest speed" on your TM, would be fast enough to make the Roadrunner's blade spin, either. And, if the blade don't spin, then a Roadrunner is basically just another jig (albeit a little more expensive).

Maybe some of the more expert "trollers" will jump in here, and give you a more definite answer. ......... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

You need to be spider rigging and even then useing some serious lead. Longline trolling becomes difficult to do once you go beyond 20 feet deep. Thats useing a jig or crankbait. I would go with at least a 1 ounce weight over my jig or minnow. if the wind is blowing then 1 1/2 to 2. You have to use all that lead to keep you down that deep when you move around any at all and if the wind blows. It will also help you detect the bite in that deeper water. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion