Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: How bad is it?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How bad is it?

Is it me or is fishing really that slow? I fished Pickwick landing area today and really had a bad day. I did catch several nice bass and catfish, but only three crappie. True the wind was a challenge, but the crappie were no where to be found. Very little on the fish finder. Stayed in 30' of water near bottom with jig tipped with minnows. Hope someone can tell me how to do it!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Presentation

Check out the new issue of Crappie World magazine. It's got several good articles that might help you out some. Maybe it was just a bad day but a different presentation might help. Good luck. This time of year in colder water the fish are lazy to bite so you'll need to fish with a slower presentation. Good luck. hope this helps you.
    "To catch fish, you gotta be on the fish!"

Post Thanks / Like

Every article I read in crappie world magazine helps me. Today I read the article regarding finding warmer water at this time of the year. Just a deg or two can make a difference. The article wrote about finding a shallow flat that was seperated from the main lake by a roadway. There was a hidden culvert that went under the road. Then when the power company started running water though the lake for power generation it drew water from this shallow warmer flat area thought the culvert and into the lake. The warmer water coming out of the culvert attracted the bigger crappie. Water warming up just a few deg F can make the crappie gather in the warmer water. Especially at this time of the year. Recently we have had some nice warm weather and lots of rain. With the lakes all iced up the warmer rain helped to melt the ice and warm the surface waters especially in areas that were exposed to the low angled Southern Sun and protected from the harsh Northern Winds. Shallow bays on the North side of the lake with a dark bottom or with lots of riprap or submerged trees and stumps can warm up faster than the surrounding water. According to the author of the article the shad will find that warmer water and the crappie follow the shad. This happened on late winter days and early spring days when the water is cold and starts to warm up. These warm spells will come in short spurts and then a cold front will come though and cool the water surface back down. The author suggests that we be very aware of the water temps and the trends and use them to catch more fish. He himself spends a lot of time running around the lake in his boat taking temp readings and looking for schools of bait fish in the warmer parts of the lake. Pay attention to the weather and how it's chaning is the gist of the article. Not all norther shorelines will have the best conditions. Some coves will warm up faster than other. Water that falls as a warmer rain (relatively speaking) and that flows down over a heated sunlight ground in early spring can warm up a small shallow bay or cove.

If it's getting colder for a few days or a week in a row then then you may start looking for the warmer water to be the deeper sections of the lake. It's all relative.

Bottom line is find the warmer water and maybe you will find the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by CohuttaCrappie
    Check out the new issue of Crappie World magazine. It's got several good articles that might help you out some. Maybe it was just a bad day but a different presentation might help. Good luck. This time of year in colder water the fish are lazy to bite so you'll need to fish with a slower presentation. Good luck. hope this helps you.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Cohutta Crappie: Thank you so much for the response and suggestions. I did do a little better this past weekend. Caught eight nice ones. I spider rig fish and because there was no wind, I actually was fishing slower. You obviously offered some good advise! Catchum
    Last edited by catchum; 01-13-2005 at 09:30 PM. Reason: add name for reply

Post Thanks / Like

Moose1am: Thanks for your advise on searching for the warmer water. It is hard to imagine that a few degrees warmer water would make a difference. You know this fishing just an't easy. There is more to take into consideration than I ever emagined. Thanks for your response. Catchum

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by catchum
    Cohutta Crappie: Thank you so much for the response and suggestions. I did do a little better this past weekend. Caught eight nice ones. I spider rig fish and because there was no wind, I actually was fishing slower. You obviously offered some good advise! Catchum
    No prob. Anytime. That's what this site is all about learning from each other. Good luck next trip out.
    "To catch fish, you gotta be on the fish!"