Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: What are they Hitting ?????

Post Thanks / Like

Default What are they Hitting ?????

Went out this morning , and could not buy a bite from crappie. I seen them on my fish finder, but they would not bite anything I put at them. Frustraing when back in may they were hitting anything you threw out.
    Perception Pescador

Post Thanks / Like

Several factors can be in play...when water temps are high, crappie will suspend because they burn more calories than they can take in. Most fish will feed under the cooler cover of darkness, when their vision gives them an advantage over baitfish.
    O2 levels can be low due to algae, etc and make them suspend...same with bright sunlight.
    Or they can be full from all the insects, or perfect sized fry/baitfish right now!
    This time of year is when you have to try different techniques or lures....right now at my lake glow plastics and a super slow, stop and go retrieve.
    Keitech USA Pro Staff

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had days just like you described. My way of doing things this time of year is to be there when the sun cracks the sky and work the places that I've done best in. Lots of times they will feed at daybreak for a while, some longer than others. A lot of them it's til around 9:30 give or take and it's like a switch is thrown and they're done. Some say that they change feeding patterns and can still be found. There may be credence to that but by the the crazy people show up with their brothers and cousins and it's time for me to go anyway. As in winter they sometimes won't expend much energy to chase a bait so downsizing and slowing down are two things to try. Cooler weather is coming so a little patience and the reward will be here before you know it.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes shipahoy41 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I too went out this morning. Not sure about where you live, but around here the water temps are down about 10 degrees. The lake I was on averaged about 73 degrees. 10 degrees cooler than 3 weeks ago. We had a cool spell the past couple of weeks.
    I caught all my fish in pockets within weeds in 5-6' of water. Water depth was 5-6' deep. We left there and wen to deeper water, couldn't buy a bite either. Not in 15' or water, nor in 30' of water. Tried up and down the water column, nada. Found another cove that was choked full of weeds and less than 8' deep. Started catching them again.

I tried artificial every place I went. Nothing. Everything we caught was slip bobber, bare hook and a minnow. Minnows about 1"-1.25" in length. Hope that helps!
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!