Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Losing crappie on the way to the net

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Losing crappie on the way to the net

I've been trolling cranks for 40 years for everything from sauger to crappie. I know losing fish near the boat is just part of the game but Ive recently been on a streak of bad luck that is really puzzling me. I'm losing probably close to 1/2 of the crappie I hook when they come loose between the time they surface and I get the net under them.

I've varied my trolling speeds from 1.5 to 2.5 mph. No difference.
    I'm making sure my hooks are VERY sharp and in good condition. No difference.
    I've slowed down the speed I reel the fish in on the surface then tried speeding it up. No difference.
    I've tried cranks in all sizes and shapes, shallow to deep. No difference.

Earlier in the summer we were catching most crappie that had the crank buried DEEP in their mouths. Now I'm not even having to get the pliers out to get most of the hooks out. I know this has been a strange year here with both weather and lake conditions. I'm just looking for some ideas that might increase the % of crappie that are hooked and put in the net.

Thanks.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Likes theygotaeat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Unusual year for me too, losing fish.

dallman is offline Trophy King II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have only been doing this for a couple of years and have used 10# braid and 12# solar collector. I lost some on the mono last year not a lot. This year I have only lost one and am using yellow 30# braid, but have not caught very many. I have to find some deeper water to fish in or will probably start going to JPP in the summer. I will be going to 40# power pro next time I change line. I keep more lures this way. I do keep a pair of gloves for hung lures.
    Retired USN

Post Thanks / Like

i have always heard the hotter the water the softer the tissue, the colder the water the firmer, softer tissue would tear easier. i know with bass and crankbaits, when they are barely hooked you need to keep changing colors to find the one they would really eat, another bass trick is to add a second split ring between the bait and the hook, this works if the fish are headshaking and throwing the hook.
    Likes theygotaeat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Have you thought about adding a trailer hook?????
    Take a second hook and slide the eye over the barbed baited hook and let it trail the bait. This should allow for a deeper hookup on a soft bite.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you are experiencing a sub conscience desire for me to catch more fish thus improving my quality of fishing time by releasing fish back into the lake. Thx and keep up the good work!

Post Thanks / Like

Have been having the same problem it's like the weight flopping around snatches the bait out I have and some luck reeling the weight to rod tip to absorb some shock
    Been thinking I'd trying a rubber snubber

Post Thanks / Like

Are you using braid?

Post Thanks / Like

As you say, it's just part of the game to some extent. What is the rod action when you get a hit? A easily noticeable reaction on the rod (good solid hit), or just a little "tap" so to speak like the CB bounced off the bottom ??
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

OK Doug here's my opinion!!! I've had the same thing happen trolling jigs and crankbaits. I think the it's the difference between a reaction strike and a feeding strike. I've noticed days were we never catch a crappie with the jig/crankbait swallowed just hooked in the lips and I think that's from a reaction strike and other days they swallow it to their stomach and that's a active feeding strike. We've had days where they start out just hooking them in the lips and then for a period of time it's swallowed when they really start feeding. Again just my opinion for what that's worth.
    Set da hook
    Likes crp4570, M R Dux LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast