Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappie fishing around Harrisburg

Salomonski3 Guest

Default Crappie fishing around Harrisburg

I am new to crappie fishing. Last fishing season i tried crappie fishing but did not have that much success. When the weather gets warmer (March/APRIL) i would like to try crappie fishing but do not know of any good places around. I also need advice on artificial or live bait to use. I live in the harrisburg area. Reply or Email me at [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Post crappie fishing arounf harrisburg

hello & welcome to crappie fishin from western pa. Big Zig lives on the east side of the state & makes & sells jigs!
    good luck!
    kermit
    HAPPY FISHIN Y'ALL

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the board Salomonski. You have good crappie fishing in any direction you head out of Harrisburg. My choice of best picks for the area would be: 1) Lake Marburg/Project 70
    2) Rose Valley Lake
    3) Maunch Chunk Lake
    4) Blue Marsh
    5) Pinchot Lake (Pinchot State Park)
    6) Holman Lake - I've never fished this body of water, but the net surveys show this lake may be a sleeper.

As far as lures, it's pretty much up to the individual. Jigs, live minnows, and small plastic baits (3/4 - 1.5") will get you bites just about anywhere. As rivercat said, I'm partial to jigs but won't turn down different approaches either. For the time frame you mentioned, March/April, I'll be fishing small fatheads under slip bobbers. Keep checking in on the site - we usually keep a running thread count of how we did and what we are gettin' 'em on.

I'm looking at Rose Valley for a spring get together for KCA(east). I think this is pretty much centralized for everyone - you're more then welcome. I'll post the particulars closer to the time.
    Each year I pick a body of water to concentrate on; 2005 will be Project 70 (Lake Marburg).

There's a thread on the main board about Berkley Crappie nibbles - may want to look at these. I tried them for the first time the middle of last summer, and they now have a permanent spot in the boat. (red, yellow, silver sparkle)

Post Thanks / Like

Post Crappie Fishing around Harrisburg

Where are the lakes that you mentioned in your post as oldest son, just move to your area?
    Kermit
    HAPPY FISHIN Y'ALL

Salomonski3 Guest

Question Lakes

No im not new to this area but im only 18 years old and have fished for a while but only in the last 2 years i have fished a lot. I dont have a boat to take out on those lakes, but i have been to pinchot and have tried crappie fishing by the dam but i did not have any luck. Do any of those lakes have good places to shore fish. Its hard not having a boat. Are big lakes only the good places for crappies or can you find them in steams or ponds.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Salomonski3
    No im not new to this area but im only 18 years old and have fished for a while but only in the last 2 years i have fished a lot. I dont have a boat to take out on those lakes, but i have been to pinchot and have tried crappie fishing by the dam but i did not have any luck. Do any of those lakes have good places to shore fish. Its hard not having a boat. Are big lakes only the good places for crappies or can you find them in steams or ponds.
    Sorry, can't help you with small bodies of water in your area. But I do have a great lake for shore fishing crappie - Lake Redman. This was my target lake last year, and most of the blowdowns I fished can be reached by shore. Take a look at some of the history here - I spell out what I was using. If you get adventureous this spring, drop me a line and I'll give you a tour. catchin' em is up to you.

Post Thanks / Like

parivercat - I'll trade location information, for your "secret". :D

Post Thanks / Like

Post Crappie fishing around Harrisburg

Sure like the deer hunting picture? haha!!
    HAPPY FISHIN Y'ALL