Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Crank bait trolling setups???

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Crank bait trolling setups???

Looking for ideas, recommendations and pics of rod holders/setups for trolling cranks/long lining. I am running the Tite-Lok individual rod holders for spider rigging and pushing jigs out the front. I am looking for some input on a set up for trolling cranks and planer boards off the front, sides or back of the boat.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm running driftmaster T-250-H. You can run 4 rods on each side. I think 3 is plenty though. The driftmasters work awesome the only thing you need to be sure is if you go with these, the rod holders on the left side of the boat need to be reverse thread or a good fish can unscrew it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bryan535 View Post
    The driftmasters work awesome the only thing you need to be sure is if you go with these, the rod holders on the left side of the boat need to be reverse thread or a good fish can unscrew it.
    This is exactly the stuff I needed to know. Also like you said I will be running 3 rods on each side max. When I started rigging no one around here was doing it so I was always trying different setups. I have been through 5 or 6 different rod holders to get to where I am now with what I feel is the best holders on the market for the way I rig. Trying to save having to go through all the trial and error expense again.

Post Thanks / Like

Look around on the walleye boards. Lots of trolling info there. Trying to figure out the planer boards myself. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

I spent Saturday in the Crappie Masters tournament with Tommy Skarlis which is one of if not the best in the business at trolling boards. It's got my head spinning on different ways of catching fish in places I never thought possible. Along with trolling the boards I am real excited about the Tad Pole's that Off Shore Tackle makes. The ways of using them are endless. Can't wait to start experimenting with them.

Post Thanks / Like

How did Tommy do on Truman?

Post Thanks / Like

We did not fair to well in the tournament. We dipped trees and finally put a pattern together with about an hour and half left. Ended up middle of the pack. We probably should have been pulling boards but the whole reason he came down was to learn how to dip standing timber.

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

X2 on the Driftmaster 250's. I have a pair on the back deck of my Ranger. Works perfect for pulling cranks or long lining. Have a 101 Terrova IPilot on the front. Put a set of Dub-L-Seats on the back. Just fish from the back and steer by remote. Best set up I've ever used.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff
    Likes Jigging15 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Speck what rods and what length are you using for cranks?

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jigging15 View Post
    Speck what rods and what length are you using for cranks?
    I run 4 planer boards off the back. Two on each side. The planers put a lot of drag against a rod, so you want a medium/heavy rod. Any mh bass rod will work. I use Daiwa downrigger rods from Wally World. They are about $25 each. I will put 2 planers out each side on those and have another straight out the back on each side. As I catch a fish on a planer, I rotate the set by putting the board on the long line and moving out. The rod that just caught the fish them rotates to the long line. Sounds a lot more complicated than it actually is.
    I also use B&M PST's for straight cranks without planers. PST's also for pushing cranks. I like ScottV rigs with 4oz weights about 3 feet above the crank for pushing.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff
    Likes Jigging15, dfar LIKED above post

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast