Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Ground on board charger

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ground on board charger

Just got back from Ky lake I notice the plug cord that you plug in for the charger has been burned up or got hot some way the only thing that I can think of is the dock outlet that I was staying at was not grounded proably. It`s still useable I`ll just put a new male plug on. Just wondering if anybody else has had this trouble before.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Holt
    Just got back from Ky lake I notice the plug cord that you plug in for the charger has been burned up or got hot some way the only thing that I can think of is the dock outlet that I was staying at was not grounded proably. It`s still useable I`ll just put a new male plug on. Just wondering if anybody else has had this trouble before.
    Be careful, you may have a short in the charger. I can't help but wonder why the dock's circuit breaker didn't trip.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Greg:

Maybe your plug wasn't making real good contact in the outlet, which could have caused some arcing. Be sure you get your hot and neutral wires connected to the correct side of the plug when you put a new one on. It would probably work either way but it wouldn't be good for the charger if wired in reverse.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Likely nothing to do with grounding. My guess would be low voltage at the dock cause the charger to pull more current than normal resulting in overheating of the cord. Keep a very close eye on it to make sure you don't have a problem with the charger.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Blake
    Hey Greg:

Maybe your plug wasn't making real good contact in the outlet, which could have caused some arcing. Be sure you get your hot and neutral wires connected to the correct side of the plug when you put a new one on. It would probably work either way but it wouldn't be good for the charger if wired in reverse.
    It will work either way. AC has no polarity unlike DC. The 115vac most likely just goes to the primary windings of a transformer, then is stepped down and rectified. The transformer doesn't care which way the wires are. Your ground wire is the one you need to make sure is connected properly.

As voltage drops current increases so low voltage could be a possibility as well as a bad connection as Jerry stated.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Default Charger

Thanks for tips I`ve used it few times since this happens works great so far but i`m going to keep my eye out Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Well the paperwork on my new Dual Pro says...............

"When using an extention cord, make sure:

1. That pins on plug of extention cord are the same number, size and shape as those of the charger plug;

2. That extention card is properly wired and in good electrical condition;

3. That wire size is large enough for ac ampere rating of charger."

Sounds like they really want to make sure that the extention cord is correct, maybe because it has been the cause of trouble in the past?

Just a heads up.

john
    Chuck the aggrivating stuff.......... Just go Fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Ac

All

While AC has no polarity it still has to be wired correctly. As follows

Black wire to gold screw
    White wire to silver screw
    Green wire to green screw

Wiring it incorrectly may lead to

possible shock
    fuse not working properly
    breaker not working
    GFI not working

The cause of you problem was most likely to be loose connection of the plug or the wiring of the plug.

Later
    Dawg48

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Dawg. Even though AC is Alternating Current, you need to keep the Hot (smaller blade on plug), neutral (wider blade on plug), and the ground wired correctly. I also agree that the heat generated was from a loose connection and not from excessive current.

Post Thanks / Like

Just got back from Weiss, they had a power surge on the dock, caused from pressure washing the dockand them dropping a cord in the water, didn't throw the breaker, when I plugged my onboard charger in blew my in line fuses and ruined my charger......Fishing was great though...