Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Longlining speed question.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Longlining speed question.

I've read that people are longlining anywhere from .7mph up to 2mph. Just today I went out for the first time with my speed sensor on my Eagle FishMark 500c. It shows my 9.9hp motor pushes my 14' jon boat at 22mph but what surprised me was that with my gas motor going as slow as possible it showed I was going 2mph which is about the same speed it showed with my trolling motor going all out. The boat is moving along at a pretty good clip while showing 2mph, is this right? I can't imagine trolling this fast. My fish finder does have a calibration for speed, does it seem that mine needs calibrated?

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

I think your speeds are in the ball park---using crankbaits at the higher speeds seems right, but trolling or spider rigging I don,t do much good over .4 -.7
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Default Longlining speed question

Quote Originally Posted by TapOut64
    I've read that people are longlining anywhere from .7mph up to 2mph. Just today I went out for the first time with my speed sensor on my Eagle FishMark 500c. It shows my 9.9hp motor pushes my 14' jon boat at 22mph but what surprised me was that with my gas motor going as slow as possible it showed I was going 2mph which is about the same speed it showed with my trolling motor going all out. The boat is moving along at a pretty good clip while showing 2mph, is this right? I can't imagine trolling this fast. My fish finder does have a calibration for speed, does it seem that mine needs calibrated?
    2 mph in my opinion is too fast, I try to keep speed between .6 & 1.1
    per gps.

Billy
    Billy Deuce

Fried Crappie.... "The real thing".

Post Thanks / Like

You can check your speed with a GPS to calibrate your graph but it's probably pretty close. We troll Bandit Crank Baits around 2-mph but I'm sure that's too fast for jigs.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com