Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about long poles and snags.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question about long poles and snags.

Went out today for the first time with two new 12' B & M poles. I was snagged up, set my pole down, was holding it near the middle trying to reach the line when the upper section of the rod snapped just above my hand. (there might of been a wind gust that contributed to this) My question is, what do you do when you snag up with these long poles? Should I just cut my line right away? Not sure if this rod was defective, it has me rather hesitant to buy more but my plans are to get 4 more so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Default Snags

I always flip my bail on the reel to get slack and then work with the snag. That way you will protect the pole from breaking, I've got three Walley Marshall 12 ft. poles that I've had for 4 yrs now, they cost to much to be replacing.
    Hope this might help you, good luck.

speder rig man

Post Thanks / Like

just use the line to free the snag or pull the rod straight where there is no bend in the rod. be thankfull you had B & M rods, you can buy a replacement top half

Post Thanks / Like

I use a nail knot with a glass bead and just push the hook loose. I use the elcheapo reels, so I keep plenty line slack in my hand.
    Roy

Post Thanks / Like

There are several things you can do.

1- Drag adjustment. A light drag will stick a crappie and save your gear.

2- If you are fishing a bottom bouncing rig, use a lighter snell line, if the
    hook is hung you only lose the hook or jig and keep the main line and
    sinker.

3- You already did the 3rd and make sure your rod is set well. You lost the
    upper have, but saved the reel and the rod butt.

Don't frett, if your not in the cover then your not in the fish. We all have done it. Good luck.
    "Dude, where's my float?"

Post Thanks / Like

Upper half. I can't think...
    "Dude, where's my float?"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TapOut64
    Went out today for the first time with two new 12' B & M poles. I was snagged up, set my pole down, was holding it near the middle trying to reach the line when the upper section of the rod snapped just above my hand. (there might of been a wind gust that contributed to this) My question is, what do you do when you snag up with these long poles? Should I just cut my line right away? Not sure if this rod was defective, it has me rather hesitant to buy more but my plans are to get 4 more so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    TapOut64, your main problem may have been having your hand about middle way of pole, should have had it down near the reel. Next time you hang, grab
    the line between the eyes & pull the line until you break free.

Billy
    Billy Deuce

Fried Crappie.... "The real thing".

Prospect Hill,N.C. LAKES, FALLS AND JORDAN
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down B And M Poles

Quote Originally Posted by TapOut64

DON'T BUY MORE B AND M POLES.I BOUGHT ONE BRAND NEW WAS RIGGING THE LINE THROUGH THE EYES AND THE TOP HALF BROKE INTO ABOUT THE SECOND EYE DOWN. I FIGURED THEN IF THEY ARE THAT FRAGILE I DON'T NEED THEM ON MY BOAT, AS NEED TO TAKE A LITTLE ABUSE AND KEEP ON BEING USEABLE.DON'T THINK I WILL BUY ANOTHER.
    JERK THEM OUT BY DA ROOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, you've already figured out what NOT to do! NEVER hold a rod in the middle when you're putting a bow in it, whether it's hung or you're fighting a fish. It puts all the pressure right above your hand and they aren't designed to take that kind of pressure. I'd blame it on the wind though - it will mess you up good sometimes.

We use light wire hooks and 8-pound line on our slip-float rigs and when they get hung we let the rod go straight as we reel down as far as we can and then hold the spool on the real to defeat the drag and pull STRAIGHT up without putting any bend in the rod. Most of the time the hook will straighten out enough to come loose and we just bend it back and re-bait and we're back to fishing.

When we hang a jig up we position the boat so we can get the tip of the rod straight over the hang-up and then snap a 1/2-ounce Water Gremlin Snap-Loc sinker - http://www.usangler.com/product.cfm?...ater%20Gremlin - on the line and let it slide down the line to the jig while holding the line taught.

Then we lower the rod tip about a foot so the weight falls below the jig and give a couple gentle upward twitches of the rod tip, which causes the weight to pull gently down on the jig with each twitch.

As long as we don't set the hook too hard when we get hung up or try to pull the jig loose first we get our jig back 9 times out of 10. Of course if we can't free the jig we loose the weight too. When the jig won't come loose with a "Get-r-offer" we use the same technique to break the line as we do on our slip-float rigs to keep from breaking the jig pole.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

I just pull straight back without bending the rod. If I loose the jig or hook so be it. It is a lot cheaper to buy new jigs or hooks than to replace a rod.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast