Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rod Building

Post Thanks / Like

Question Rod Building

Thinking I might build me some 14' spider rods this winter. Anybody build there own?

Got any tips or recommended suppliers?
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought about it, looked around and could not find blanks. Lot cheaper to buy quality rods.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cray View Post
    I thought about it, looked around and could not find blanks. Lot cheaper to buy quality rods.
    I'm not a rod builder, but that is exactly what I would have guessed.

In lengths over 10', it seems like you'd have to use a switch or spey rod blank, and they're not cheap. Mudhole has switch rod blanks starting at about $160.

Post Thanks / Like

MHX has panfish blanks in 14' for $47.25 through Mudhole. Model PF1683ML-MHX. Other than that, you could go with a salmon or steelhead blank but the prices will go up quite a bit.

Sometimes you can't built them for what you can buy them for. That said, you cannot always buy exactly what you are looking for. The result then becomes custom as the only option.

I built a blank for Slab last fall in this same series. It is a 10 footer. Might shoot him a PM and ask him how it would be as a spider rigging rod. I don't fish that particular technique in Michigan so I have no idea of really what to look for.
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't built a rod in a lot of years but I have looked at the cost of materials. I wasn't impressed. Were I building a casting rod up to about 7' I would do it for the self satisfaction but for the long rods I couldn't do it. I like my rods action and length to be about the same and we're allowed lots of rods so factory rods get the nod. I also really like the St. Croix 66LF. about $100 or a few one way or the other. I strongly doubt that I could build one to compare for anything close. Were I locked in all winter I might do one to occupy my time. The windings can take a lot of time for a newbie and are a thing of beauty when done right. You can use a different thread count than anyone else and keep a record of the pattern and count. Next rod use the same pattern and count and they will all match, throughout your life. It's very satisfying to show someone your gear and see their eyes light up at the quality of the work and be able to say that you did it all. Good luck with it, you've done nice work with other things, I'm sure that this would be no different.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks All for the input.
    Thanks Skeetbum. My home remodel projects are coming to a close. What's left is a basement floor (tile / carpet), recondition our 50year old wood exterior doors, lay down ceramic tile in the back entrance, and then a few landscaping projects... Other than a new fire pit, the rest of the landscaping will wait until next summer.

I need about 8-9 spider rigging rods. This thanksgiving I will have a knee replaced and expect to have some serious chair time. I need a project to occupy my time while sitting on my arse this winter. Figured I might was well make some spider rigging rods. Most of the rods in 14' lengths are 3 piece, I would prefer 2 piece, if I can find raw materials.

If the rods don't pan out, I believe my back up plan is Crappie cranking lures.

In the mean time Ill check out Mudhole for the blanks wicklundhr suggested. Any other options? Any recommended videos or books on the subject?
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Post Thanks / Like

Hanr3,

Those 14 footers I suggested are 3 piece rods. The rest of their rods in the Panfish series are two piece rods.

If you switch over to a steelhead blank, you can get 14 footers in a two piece but the price will go up dramatically.

As far as videos, I recommend going to Youtube and utilizing the video series that Captain Kevin Brotz from GetBitOutdoors put together. I think it is a 9 video series and I have recommended it to several people. Each video is between 3 and 10 minutes (with the exception of one or two). Great videos with great instructions. Kevin is a great guy and anyone interested in building rods can checkout his web site. They offer a lot of great stuff (as does Mudhole).

I'll keep my eyes out for any other blanks that would fit the bill. There are a few companies I stay away from but usually don't post them publicly because it always hurts someone's feelings!
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wicklundrh View Post
    Hanr3,

Those 14 footers I suggested are 3 piece rods. The rest of their rods in the Panfish series are two piece rods.

If you switch over to a steelhead blank, you can get 14 footers in a two piece but the price will go up dramatically.

As far as videos, I recommend going to Youtube and utilizing the video series that Captain Kevin Brotz from GetBitOutdoors put together. I think it is a 9 video series and I have recommended it to several people. Each video is between 3 and 10 minutes (with the exception of one or two). Great videos with great instructions. Kevin is a great guy and anyone interested in building rods can checkout his web site. They offer a lot of great stuff (as does Mudhole).

I'll keep my eyes out for any other blanks that would fit the bill. There are a few companies I stay away from but usually don't post them publicly because it always hurts someone's feelings!
    Thanks a bunch for the help!
    I haven't looked yet, however I suspect Steelhead rods would be a little to stiff for a crappie rod. Just a hunch.
    IF three piece is my only/best option, three piece it is.
    I'll check out his video series. Thanks!
    HOI Crappie Club

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hanr3 View Post
    I haven't looked yet, however I suspect Steelhead rods would be a little to stiff for a crappie rod. Just a hunch.
    Actually, the lighter ones make great crappie rods. Heck, they make good bluegill rods. I think they'd sell a lot more if they'd take the "steelhead" out of the description. They're just long spinning rods.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    Actually, the lighter ones make great crappie rods. Heck, they make good bluegill rods. I think they'd sell a lot more if they'd take the "steelhead" out of the description. They're just long spinning rods.
    Interest piqued.
    HOI Crappie Club

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast