Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Jigs for shooting docks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jigs for shooting docks

Do all style of jigheads work well for shooting docks or are ther ones that skip better?

Anybody know where there are and video clips?
    "Some days im Basstastic other days im crapptacular"

Post Thanks / Like

I like to use Charlie Brewer sliders on the slider/turbo jig head so it's weedless. This keeps you from hangin up on the posts if you use it correctly. If you start missing hookups after tugs switch to an open hook jig (ballhead or dart). That's my experience. HTH

the next generation of slabhunters

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Robbor ......

Quote Originally Posted by robbor
    Do all style of jigheads work well for shooting docks or are ther ones that skip better?

Anybody know where there are and video clips?
    Most any jig will work for shooting docks .... just some work "better" than others (IMHO).

Tube jigs will "shoot" ... but, they don't always "skip" as good as Panfish Assassins. Charlie Brewer Sliders on a jighead work OK. A lot depends on how much room, between dock and water's surface, that you have to work with. When it gets down to mere inches, and you have to hit the water's surface just at or just outside the edge of the dock ..... in order to get the jig back in under the dock .... then the Panfish Assassin outshines most other plastics. It just seems to skip more easily, thus going further back under the dock.
    With more open docks, and boat slips, I've used just about every kind of "jig" I own, to "shoot" with ..... Roadrunners, Charlie Brewer Pro Whirley Bee, pill head jigs, ball head jigs, fish head jigs, feather/hair/plastic/combinations thereof jigs, etc -- in sizes from 1/64oz to 1/4oz.

Of course, flat water works better that choppy water .... but, flat water sometimes means the fish are deeper in the water, or under the dock. The darkest/deepest part of the dock is usually the prime spot ... but, don't rule out ANY shaded water, even the water outside the dock. Dock posts, especially those in front, need to be cast to/shot multiple times and from top to bottom. They are also prime spots to Vertical Cast (right down beside them) !! This is especially true when these posts are in the shade, but can also be productive if they are not ... just concentrate on the shady side of them !!

OH YEAH, and when you're shooting "docks" ....... NEVER EVER pass up a pontoon boat, docked in a slip or tied off to the outside of the dock, without "shooting" it, too !!

Video clips ... I don't know.
    Articles ... you can probably Google up several.
    DVD's ... Midwest Outdoors has some.

...... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Robbor,

What depth of water are the docks in that you will be fishing?
    Russ
    www.midwestcrappie.com

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Hey Russ .....

Quote Originally Posted by russ
    Robbor,

What depth of water are the docks in that you will be fishing?
    Russ
    www.midwestcrappie.com
    Don't let the secret out about the "electric chicken" :p :D :D :D

Seriously though, he should like the Watts Bar/Don York Dock Shooting DVD !! And don't you have another dock shooting film or two ??

If I could ever get my fishing partner to lay his rod down long enough to take some pics/vids ... I'd do a "how to" on shooting docks .... LOL!!! ...cp

Post Thanks / Like

Hi CP,

I do have a few shows on shooting & I'm afraid the Electric Chicken is out!!!
    I am planning on doing shooting shows on Weiss and Neely this spring.

Russ

Post Thanks / Like

ELECTRIC CHICKEN???
    Im not shooting docks, no docks here and almost no crappie either. The lake I used to fish crappie had a huge kill 2-3 years ago but hopefully there will be some fish this year. I just try to learn all I can and be adaptable. Id probable end up using it more for around brush and hangovers. Id like to like to hit a few new lakes this year and there is a possibility of docks. I just was wondering about head styles like wobble heads for shooting. I checked out ebay but no video on dock shooting. Ive never seen it done, I dont live in crappie country, I live in crappy country So Cal.:D
    "Some days im Basstastic other days im crapptacular"

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Robbor .....

Quote Originally Posted by robbor
    ELECTRIC CHICKEN???
    Im not shooting docks, no docks here and almost no crappie either. The lake I used to fish crappie had a huge kill 2-3 years ago but hopefully there will be some fish this year. I just try to learn all I can and be adaptable. Id probable end up using it more for around brush and hangovers. Id like to like to hit a few new lakes this year and there is a possibility of docks. I just was wondering about head styles like wobble heads for shooting. I checked out ebay but no video on dock shooting. Ive never seen it done, I dont live in crappie country, I live in crappy country So Cal.:D

In most cases, whether shooting docks or just casting to submerged wood cover, I'm using either of these two weedless jigheads :

(probably haven't lost more than 5 or 6 of them, in the past 5 years )

I'm casting in this type of water :

(so you see why I use weedless jigheads so much :D )

And just so you know -- this is the color combination known as "Electric Chicken" :

These are 1.5in long ... known as Tiny Shad ... in the Panfish Assassin group of body types ... made by "Bass Assassin Lures". You can check them out on their home website (and they do make some other "versions").
    Or you can see the 1.5inch Tiny Shad's colors at this site:
    http://www.eburch.biz/bass_assassin_1_5_tiny_shad.htm

Read my reply post, in this thread, for a basic idea of "how to" shoot a jig. It's relative to shooting docks, but the same principle applies when trying to shoot a jig underneath a overhanging branch or other obstacle:
    http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showth...ting+slingshot

IF your water is real clear, and your eyes are still "young", you may not want or need to use hi-vis line :p
    I commend you on wanting to expand your knowledge, and be adaptable to changing situations/conditions. I hope you continue to learn, from the knowledgable and sharing members of this site, all the ways in which Crappie can be caught ........ luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Man CP - that bottom spot looks like a winner. Where is that?
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Hey Grizz ....

Quote Originally Posted by GRIZZ
    Man CP - that bottom spot looks like a winner. Where is that?
    That's just inside the mouth of a major creek, on my "local" Crappie lake ... Taylorsville Lake, Ky.

http://www.lrl.usace.army.mil/tay/default.asp

........... cp