Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone had this happen?

Etowah, Tn. foothills to the Smokey Mountains
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone had this happen?

Was on the way home from the lake the other day and ran into one of the most violent rainstorms I've even seen. So violent that water got into my seat compartment and activated my high dollar life jacket that inflates off a CO-2 cartridge. All my instruction stuff was totally soaked as well. Have had input from some that you can buy another cartridge for about what the whole thing cost new. Anybody have any suggestions. Its was a Bass Pro model.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Depending on what pfd you have the re-arm kits run anywhere from 18 to 25 dollars at BPS.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Depending on how long you have had it the activation bobbin may have needed to be replaced. They have an expiration date stamped on them.
    Look at the date on the one you purchase to make sure it is good for at least 2 years or more.

I have had one activate after a rain storm that was in a storage area and when I re-armed it I found the bobbin had deteriorated because it was almost 2 years past the expiration date.
    Likes Eagle 1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

When I bought my Onyx automatic I bought a kit which contained the cylinder, the indicator and the little green bobbin for $25. But I bought locally so I an sure it can be had for less.

Just checked: Less than $19 on Amazon.

Even at that I think it is a great vest, as it is comfortable enough that I actually wear it.
    Clint
    Far West Kentucky
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/signaturepics/sigpic31827_3.gif
    Old enough to know better and way too old to care!

Post Thanks / Like

I have not personally had this happen to me but I have heard from several others that have. At least we know they work right!! I've also heard of condensation in a compartment making them go off as well as high humidity causing condensation that makes them go off. That said, I prefer that to the alternative (not working at all)
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Had a friend tell me he left his Auto PFD in his boat's storage compartment & had it inflate .... busted the lid up so bad that he had to have it replaced.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I found my vest had inflated after stupidly leaving it in a boat compartment over the winter. Lots of dampness.

RogerA is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have some friends that had the same thing happen. I have been using the auto inflatable type for about 5 years and never had a problem but the type I have only inflates when submerged under the water, it is triggered by water pressure. I store in boat compartment and have never had a problem.
    Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly, and Trust in our Creator who Loves us

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

When they get a couple of years old it is recommended that they be tested to be sure of their integrity. The fun part of this is that when it comes time for all that, you put it on and jump in trying for the bottom. Pop goes the weasel and back to the top you SHOULD go. Any problems are better found now than a failure at a critical time. Re-arms are cheap compared to the alternative. Mine popped in the compartment it was stored in, God only knows how long it had been since recharged. It's about time for the test and I expect it's also time to replace. Confidence in your equipment is paramount to me.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

The less expensive type of auto inflate PFD uses like an aspirin tablet that disolves and actuates it. My PFD is an offshore rated safety harness and has a hydrostatic switch, but I also race sailboats professionally and can't have my PFD go off because I took a wave.

I also believe that auto inflate PFD have to be tested every so often to retain USCG certification. I believe it is just inflate and leave it for 24 hours without it deflating.

But, I have intentionally set one off, a buddy had a few drinks and was wearing his around the house so I grabbed the rip cord, lol!

-Alexander
    My candle burns at both ends; it will not last the night. But ah my foes, and oh my friends - it gives a lovely light.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast