Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please help me identify a plastic stick-type bait from the Old Testament

Post Thanks / Like

Default Please help me identify a plastic stick-type bait from the Old Testament

Thanks for reading guys. I don't know if they still make them and I can't find the last one I have or I'd post up a picture of it. We used them years ago on schooling bass. It was a plastic bait, about 4-5 inches long. About the length of a Devils Horse, but more slightly more tear-drop shaped than the DH. It has a small egg weight in front of the rear treble hook, between the treble and the back of the bait so it would sit straight up, nose out of the water when still in the water rather than laying in the water flat. No concave or lip on the front, just smooth tear-drop shape, and I don't remember if it had props on it or not...I don't think it did though. You could cast it a mile, and under most conditions would out-fish any other schooling bait we threw. You would jerk it and it would plop over horizontal and immediately stand back up straight. Deadly. Does anyone remember this bait? What is the name of it? Most important, do they still make them and where can I buy some? Thanks!

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Sending you some contact info by PM.

Sometimes baits that work great for us just don't sell. Cotton Cordell used to make a topwater bait called "Top Spot". It was a oval shaped bait with a more rounded side than a Spot or Rattletrap with a very small lip, one treble hook and had a scale pattern molded in. You could throw it a mile on baitcasting equipment and had to reel fast to get it back on top but the schooling bass on KY Lake in the fall would go crazy over it. I still have one but haven't seen one on the shelf for years. Since I no longer bass fish, the one I have is all I need.
    Last edited by M R Dux; 08-22-2015 at 03:24 PM.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  Broke Back Rebel.jpg
Views: 870
Size:  29.0 KB
    "Just Like Iron Sharpens Iron... So it is that One Man Sharpens Another Man." Proverbs 27:17

Post Thanks / Like

I wish I knew for you because now it's going to stick in my head until I figure it out or somebody tells.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like either a Rogers Hawg Hunter or a Dalton Fish Stick. I think the Rogers HH was weighted in the back. Basic category is "stick bait" if you want to do some seraching.

-Alexander
    My candle burns at both ends; it will not last the night. But ah my foes, and oh my friends - it gives a lovely light.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm thinking it is a Bang o lure. They were major popular in FL when I moved there in the early 70's. Sat nose high just like you describe.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

"D" is offline Super Moderator and 2023 Crappie.Com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I found a pic of some devil horse baits. One has the weight you talk of. Could be you were using a weighted devil horse. Top on in the picture.
    Name:  bait.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  14.2 KB
    Team Overalls Travel Squad

FISH for LIFE

HUMANKIND......be both

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

A bait called a Boy-Houdy,Made by cotton cordell. Cotton cordell.Only make the prop type now.Will try to find a pic.Great schooling bait for bass and hybrid-stripers.
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.

"D" is offline Super Moderator and 2023 Crappie.Com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's the boy howdy jackie talks about.
    Chug-Chug! Rush, At Ease!: Boy Howdy
    Team Overalls Travel Squad

FISH for LIFE

HUMANKIND......be both

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. I searched the web for pics of your suggestions and it most closely resembles the Boy Howdy. I think it was a Cotton Cordell lure too.The one I have...somewhere... is light blue head and opaque mid and rear. And it tapers drastically from the front to a very small diameter in the rear. That allowed it to be cast a mile as it was very aerodynamic from rear to front. Unlike the Bang o lure and the broke-back rebel it did not have a minnow profile when viewed from the side. The body was completely round, no flattening of the sides, and now that I have thought hard about it there was no prop on the front. I think it may have had one on the back. In my minds eye I can remember the name of it printed in red letters on the side of it just like Cordell does to their lures. This is giving me fits. I held it in my hands not 3 months ago, and now I want to buy a few for a buddy and I can't find it. This thing stood straight up and down in the water like an almost full coke bottle will with just its neck sticking out. And it was not a chug bait action either. Its action was tilt horizontal, stand back up, tilt horizontal, stand back up. When the school bass wouldn't take a chug bait they would bite this one. It is mocking my existence...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast