Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Green River Lake August 19 results

Post Thanks / Like

Default Green River Lake August 19 results

Fished GR Lake in the Holmes Bend area yesterday. Ended the day not long after lunch with 22 decent fish out of a bunch of small ones. The fish I kept were mostly 11 or 12 inches. No big ones worthy of a pic. I pulled cranks and caught a few, but most of them were running on the small side. My best fish came from spider-rigging 18 ft deep in 22 feet of water. I started locating schools of fish on my graph and then "spot" trolling them. When they quit biting, I searched until I found another school. It was a fun day!
    Likes charley2 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Fished there yesterday, just around the corner from Holmes Bend ... right in the middle of an armada of crankbait trollers & spider riggers ... watching the crank trollers haul in keepers at a rate of 10:1 to most spider riggers & jig pushers. Even tried a bit of crank trolling, myself, but most & biggest fish I caught came on a "popsicle" colored boot tail jig body.

Most of my fish were 9-10" but had a couple 12" fish. Got bounced around pretty good from all the boat traffic, and french fried my arms/neck, but I survived. Didn't feel too bad that I only had a few fish, while the crank trollers were counting theirs in the 50's & 60's, once I considered I had 1 person w/4rods vs 2 people w/12rods or more

And just to correct you on picture worthy fish .... 12" fish from Green ARE picture worthy

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I guess you are right, CrappiePappy, a 12 in. fish on Green in picture worthy. It's just that I got in the habit from fishing all my life on Kentucky Lake of not being overwhelmed with a 12 in. crappie. I also got in the habit of not keeping 10 in. fish there, which takes some getting used to on Green.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kyfishman View Post
    I guess you are right, CrappiePappy, a 12 in. fish on Green in picture worthy. It's just that I got in the habit from fishing all my life on Kentucky Lake of not being overwhelmed with a 12 in. crappie. I also got in the habit of not keeping 10 in. fish there, which takes some getting used to on Green.
    Yeah, I have to take into consideration what lake I'm on, as to what constitutes a picture worthy fish. Like you on KY Lake fish, I have to consider a 10" fish from Watts Bar Lake in TN as a nice fish, when they can weigh as much as a 12" fish from Green or Taylorsville or Cave Run (they're just thicker/heavier from down there)

... cp

slabeye is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

pappy we was not using 12 poles. only 10 between the 2 of us and I finally have talked Larry into throwing all fish back under 10".
    https://Slabanatorjigs.com/
    AND Slab-A-nator crappie jigs on facebook
    CRAPPIE USA CLASSIC WINNER 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slabeye View Post
    pappy we was not using 12 poles. only 10 between the 2 of us and I finally have talked Larry into throwing all fish back under 10".
    LOL !!! ... I was just guessing at the number of poles (but that's still 10rods/cranks vs 3-4rods/jigs) Looking back, I think if I had put the popsicle bodies on all my rods and heavier than 1/2oz weights, and trolled faster than 0.5-0.8mph, that I would have caught more keeper fish. 3 of my 7 keepers were over 12" and the other 4 were 9.5-10" ... with all but two fish coming on the popsicle boot tail grub.

I do know one thing, though .... if I'm going to do that kind of fishing very often, I'm going to have to have a second TM battery !! And I'm going to have to rig up some kind of umbrella holder ... my arms are fried

(I won't have a NC blue umbrella like "Hollywood" does, though )

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Pappy,
    I always make two umbrella holders ( for front and back seat) for my boat out of PVC. I saw one somewhere for sale like it for about 30 bucks...and went home and made the same thing for about $10. I'll make a picture and send it to you. It works great with one of those 5 ft adjustable beach umbrellas, and can easily be moved all around the boat seat, depending on which way the sun is coming from. When I had my big fiberglass Ranger boat, it had the large seat pedestals, so I used 2 in pipe. My new Ranger has the smaller pedestals and I got by with 1 & 1/2 in. However, I do have blue umbrellas....but they are Kentucky BLUE!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Hollywood with his tarheel umbrelly ant got no SUNBURN arms.
    Cabelas, Crappie Magnet, Jenko Fishing, Cumberland Crappie , Slabanator Jigs, and Pure Crappie Tackle.
    Timscatchingcrappie.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by t.slabseeker View Post
    Hollywood with his tarheel umbrelly ant got no SUNBURN arms.
    .... ya got me there, brother

... cp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast