Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Long lining question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Long lining question

Have long lined for more than twenty years and while stationed in sc I usually had a partner, but since moving to alabama I'm by myself 90 percent of the time. Anyway was watching YouTube videos on crappie fishing last night and a guy posted a video and he was in boat by himself but was sitting in the back of the boat. Does anyone else do this?

Was weighing the pros and cons of doing this. Now that I have a trolling motor with remote control that is not a issue. I have a bass tracker PRO Team 170TX so there's a lot more room around back seat than the front, plus the live well is back there. I fish with 6 rods and he was using nine (3 on each side and 3 out the back) and had a better view of his rods. My rod holders up front are to the left and right of me so I have to constantly be turning and looking each direction.

Sometimes while trolling 6 rods I spider rig one rod out the front at the depth I'm seeing fish but because my longest rod is 12ft I'm always thinking I'm not going to get rid in time and it will end up in trolling motor. Fishing from the back I could do this with three rods.

Anyway, I'm rambling on see a lot of positives was wondering what you guys think.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a stick steer, have rear seat on a stool, that is how I fish 90% of the time if by myself and Longlining or pulling cranks. Have a bar across rear with 7 holders then 4 on left side and 2 on right that are movable. Can sit in middle of boat and watch all rods a reach them with ease.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes blueball, E-Z Poleholder LIKED above post

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 6 pairs of bases for my HiTek rodholders that allow me to set up my rods for most any scenario. If I'm by myself, I set up holders just behind my console and toward the front of my rear casting deck so I can easily reach any of the rods. The remote on my Terrova is the only reason I can do this. I have a seat base in the middle of my floor so I can place my seat there, turn my 998 and x26 around facing the bow so I can watch both while looking back at my rods. (I do have to check in front of the boat often--you know for jet-skis and buoys). This set up works great for me when longlining or pulling cranks. I normally run 16 footers off the sides, 12 footers at a 45 degree angle on the outsides of the rear and 7 footers straight back in the HiTeks on either side of my engine for cranks for a total of 6. I may use more rods for longlining.

www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Likes Slabprowler, blueball LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrdux View Post
    I have 6 pairs of bases for my HiTek rodholders that allow me to set up my rods for most any scenario. If I'm by myself, I set up holders just behind my console and toward the front of my rear casting deck so I can easily reach any of the rods. The remote on my Terrova is the only reason I can do this. I have a seat base in the middle of my floor so I can place my seat there, turn my 998 and x26 around facing the bow so I can watch both while looking back at my rods. (I do have to check in front of the boat often--you know for jet-skis and buoys). This set up works great for me when longlining or pulling cranks. I normally run 16 footers off the sides, 12 footers at a 45 degree angle on the outsides of the rear and 7 footers straight back in the HiTeks on either side of my engine for cranks for a total of 6. I may use more rods for longlining.

What's the longest rod you use when you long line. My longest is 12 but been itching to try 14 or 16 but not sure I'd like it.

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by usafret99 View Post
    What's the longest rod you use when you long line. My longest is 12 but been itching to try 14 or 16 but not sure I'd like it.
    I use the same 16 footers I use when trolling cranks, just go from Okumas to spinning reels. I'm all about line separation. I go all the way down to 5 1/2 footers when longlining.
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Yea I agree I use a 12, 8 and 5 on each side

Post Thanks / Like

What brand and action rods are you using? Thanks, Pop

Post Thanks / Like

I have a mixed bag. 12 ft are b'n'M. 8 ft are crappie max from bass pro. Think Im gonna change to all crappie max from bass pro though.

Post Thanks / Like

I use 16 foot Capps and Coleman Trollers, 14 foot Southern Crappie Rods, 12 foot Southerns, 11 foot B&M Sam Heatons,10 foot B&M, 9 foot Gants, and an assortment of B&M/BPS/Abu/Grizzly shorter rods. My rods are a representation of several years collecting. If I had to go to one rod brand only it would be Southern Crappie Rods. Other than my 16 footers, I have 2 sets of rigged rods.One for cranks and the other for longlining.
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I fish by my self all the time. My boat is setup to fish from the stern. I have a stern mount tm. fish 3 rods off each side and 4 off the stern when longlineing. sit in the middle and can reach all the rods and tm without getting up. vary easy to sit in the shade of the T top and fish all day.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast