Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Hobie Outback

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2015 Hobie Outback

I have really enjoyed the kayaking scene for the last couple years now. I love my boat and taking family and friends out, but there is something very serene and relaxing about floating low on the water alone. I have nothing against paddle yaks, but I seem to be "anti"dextrous trying to paddle and handle a fishing rod. I came from a ProAngler that was an incredible machine. However, it was much more of a boat than a kayak and I noticed I really had to build some motivation up to load her up and go.

I visited my local dealer, David, at Action Watersports in Auburndale, FL. If you're in the greater Central Florida area, I highly recommend them! The new Outback has the same, staple hull of its past. On the top end, a big redesign, including the vantage seating. What a comfort. Right up there with the Wilderness Systems seating. They only had 2 left in stock and then the '16 models wouldn't arrive until November, with a bigger price tag and no changes.

While I love speck fishing, I am getting more and more into bass fishing. That will be my primary hunt in this kayak, so I planned the rigging accordingly. The great thing about this setup is I can switch gears to just about any type of fishing or recreation quickly and easily.

I am usually cussing about the wind down here....so I decided to embrace it...with a Hobie sail! A third propulsion method and will help me cover some ground to get to hot spots on those bigger lakes. I installed a furling kit...may require some tweaking. I was a jib man back in my youth on the Long Island Sound.

Name:  outback4.jpg
Views: 2069
Size:  36.3 KB

Built two 3" pvc cradles. One for the truck bed and the second for a mobile table in the garage. The table height is perfect and lets me slide the kayak in and out of the truck with no lifting.

Name:  outback1.jpg
Views: 2459
Size:  144.2 KB

I upgraded to the sail rudder which makes a huge difference in fast response to turns. Also have the anchor trolley and 8' stake-out pole.

Name:  outback2.jpg
Views: 2534
Size:  43.9 KB

Got the Helix DI/GPS model installed on a ram mount. The ball actually provides a nice curved area for the furling line to follow. Got a LakeMaster card and the AutoChart program on the way. On a side note, I am going back to Humminbird on my boat and my goal is to map some of my small local lakes this year.

Name:  outback3.jpg
Views: 1346
Size:  74.6 KB

The kayak has 4 built in rod holders that are just fine. I don't anticipate adding any other holders in the near future. I want to keep the rigging as simple as possible.

Perhaps my favorite accessory is this simple cooler setup. I took measurements of the rear deck and went shopping. Three stores later, I located this Igloo cooler at Target. Perfect!

Name:  cooler1.jpg
Views: 1597
Size:  21.0 KB

No I don't bring 6 rods, but I like my options on where to store em lol!

Name:  cooler2.jpg
Views: 1371
Size:  77.0 KB

Can hold 8 plano boxes, or 4-5 and my small cooler for food/drinks. A cooler within a cooler...very Inception! Clips for soft plastics. $3 at target!

Name:  cooler3.jpg
Views: 1397
Size:  58.3 KB

Best of all it fits perfect, doesn't block the scupper holes for the cart. And it straps down with the stock bungees, no mods needed. Now I'm heading to the Bass Fishing sub-forum to figure out how to catch bass! Hey I did teach myself to use a baitcaster last month...that's a start
    A man remembered never dies.
    Likes RetiredRR, Slab, Idunno LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Innovation at work.
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Post Thanks / Like

That sail looks like a lot of fun!

Post Thanks / Like

very nice setup you got

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all, the maiden "sail" will be this weekend. Been out several times in the stock setup. This will be the first trip with all the upgrades.

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice setup and a good fishing kayak. Used one this summer and it is great riding kayak and very stable. Not sure about the sail without out riggers but it won't take long to find out how well it works for you and I think I would do a test run with out any tackle on the yak just in case.. Keep us informed on the setup.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

copy that, it will be a 1 rod outing with limited tackle and I'll have a float on the rod
    Likes STUMP HUNTER LIKED above post

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I am interested to hear how well the sail works out. Would be a great tool to have chasing stripers on one of our big lakes. I have the outriggers on my Adventure because it isn't stable for fishing without them. Just pulling the trigger for the cost of the sail is hard to do.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

Nice looking set up.
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along

Post Thanks / Like

Wind forecast is 2 - 7 tomorrow, should make for a good trial

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast