Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: sonar location

Post Thanks / Like

Default sonar location

where would yall suggest the location for a helix sonar. console or trolling motor.
    I have a parana max on each currently, but I'm thinking about the helix 5 sonar, di, gps.

thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I spend way more time at the trolling motor fishing in the front of the boat. So I would elect to place it at the trolling motor. The only draw back would be if you have to use the gps for locating and navagating then you may have to use it at the console.
    Be safe and good luck fishing

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scrat View Post
    The only draw back would be if you have to use the gps for locating and navagating then you may have to use it at the console.
    Not necessarily ... I have my DI unit at the bow of my 16' boat, and have used the 5" screen on GPS map to navigate from the console. You just need to be able to see the screen, and have the map zoomed in close enough to see the outline of the area you're in. Now, I will say this ... I wouldn't try it on a "tricky" lake, at least not at WOT, but then I wouldn't be going WOT on such a lake, even if I was familiar with it. WOT for me is ~50mph, and cruising speed is ~35mph ... and my DI unit only has the base map (no sd card map, yet).

I have a 2d unit at the console, and my DI unit at the bow. The 2d unit is used by me for depth reading while running & for the back seat angler. I put the DI up front, where I am sitting when fishing, for the same reason as you, Scrat.

... cp
    Likes scrat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

i am mounting mine in the front. I will be able to see it from steering wheel. I will have 2 transducers, one on troller, one on transom. I will have a selector switch to set which transducer i want to use
    Likes scrat LIKED above post