Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: crappie nibble techniques

Post Thanks / Like

Default crappie nibble techniques

Just curious about the techniques of those of you who use crappie nibbles. I think maybe that is why some of us experience good luck with them and others don't seem to produce anything. Personnally , I can't tell the difference. I usually stick one on the barb of a tube jig but don't really notice any increase in hits. I also place one on the barb of a hook with a minnow attached but the results are the same , I get hits both ways but don't really notice any more hits either way. Do some of you fish the nibbles on bare hooks or bare jigheads without any type of skirt or dressing? Do you just let them sit by tightlining or under a float or do you add action to them by jigging? Just some questions I've been wondering about that the answers might help us all be a little more successful when using nibbles. Thanks to all of you...you are great!!!..........treepotato

Post Thanks / Like

I use nibbles on jigs. I like to cover the point and barb of the hook with them if it has a barb, otherwise just push them down next to the body of the jig if it's barbless. I use the kind with sparkles on the outside. Makes the jig look like a minnow losing its scales. I just jig the whole thing slowly up and down in the water, or drag it along behind at a speed that feels like I'm barely moving. Kind of creates trail of scent and 'loose scales' in the water.
    Don't worry, catch crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

I found that the nibbles work best when crappie are being tuff where still fishing under a float or slow drifting is the name of the game. It seems to make them strike. i rely on them for more productive fishing. Now, if you dont notice a difference then dont add one, but keep them with you for when the crappie are being Jerks.
    To land one of my crappie i need a gaff and a .22 pistal :D

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Shoemoo form the evergreen state too. good there are not that many of us. You should start a thread in the washington section about crappie fishing to help all of us fom the other side of the pass. help us out and we will help you out. and even if you dont help us out we will still help you. and i agree the no minnow and one pole make it hard.BUt me make due.
    Last edited by Kokanee King; 01-06-2005 at 12:51 AM.
    To land one of my crappie i need a gaff and a .22 pistal :D

Post Thanks / Like

kk, good points. I use them in all seasons and reasons. under a bobber, on with a tube jig, and casting over crappie beds in the spring. tightlining works great. I prefer minnows but it can be the preferred bait for the picky crappie. But only use one per hook, any more is a waste or even a distractor to catching. if one is good two is not better. Bruce
    Ps thanks for all the welcoming comments.

Post Thanks / Like

Down here in Louisiana we use the nibblets pretty often when the fish are sluggush. There is a new device out down here that you put the nibblets in and inject them into the tube jig. It works really well and keeps from putting a nibblet on every time you catch a fish. I have even tried using big sryringes that i have used on my horses to inject the nibblet into a tube. Can get pretty messy though.

Post Thanks / Like

I read often but don't post here much but I have a few tricks. Nibbles are great when fishing minnows in any kind of current or trolling. They can be used with a minnow as a "stop" between the bait and barb to keep the minnow from sliding off the hook. Also, this may sound nutty, but give a cricket on a jig a try instead of a nibble if you have finicky crappie.