Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Pushin or pullin cranks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pushin or pullin cranks

Which is worst to get hung up?

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Both will get you hung up. both have their place....I like to push when I want to run baits shallow and control the depth with the weight, this is good for fishing up creeks or coves where water is shallow and no room to make wide sweeping turns. For deeper more open water, I like to pull my baits with out use of weights and control my depth by length of line out at a speed of 1.6 to 1.8 mph. Go here and read.....http://www.crappie.com/crappie/missi...-cranks-101-a/
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes shipahoy41 LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

What he said. Neither is fun but survival is easier with Braided line.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I was trying to see if there was a down side to pushing other than a little more rigging. If you can make quicker turns, put shallow diving lure deeper , not have to reel in 200' of line when you catch a fish or reel all that line to turn and try to get unhung. Don't get me wrong not trying to be smart cause I really don't know doing yet. Thanks the help.

Post Thanks / Like

The answer you need is which method will catch more fish at the time of year that you are fishing. Wish I could answer that for you but I have never pushed with the big weights.

I can tell you that you will definitely get hung up pulling. At least I do but I am a amateur on pulling compared to these other guys. Biggest problem I have found is the lake bottom isn't cooperating with me a lot of times. I will be trolling along minding my own business in 15 - 22' of water and all of a sudden the bottom will have a silly 10' rise on it with some stumps. I will either get hung up on that one stump or catch some kind of fish. Usually I get hung up but occasionally I will a catfish or drum bouncing it off the bottom. Hard to adjust quick enough when you are moving at 1.8 mph - 2.0 mph to avoid getting the baits too shallow several times a day.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

G is an expert. Follow his advice.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.