Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: How often do you re-spool your mono line?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How often do you re-spool your mono line?

I pulled out a couple of ultra-light rigs that I haven’t used in a couple of years, Shakespeare Micro Series 7’ with Pflueger 6925 spinners, the line is 4# Bass Pro Crappie MAXX. Went to a local lake with my daughter and some crickets and was getting more broken lines than expected on small to average sized perch…not slabs or snags, just reeling them in and the line would snap. I was using a Palomar knot directly on a #8 cricket hook, split shot and a slip bobber…I’m used to fishing for specs and reds on bigger rigs and not using a snap-swivel is just normal to me. Anyway, after a few broken lines (and lost fish) I switched from a Palomar to a Clinch knot and that seemed to help but not eliminate the problem.

Should I be swapping out my mono line every year just to keep it fresh? Is there a “shelf life” for mono line? The expense is no big deal in the big picture…

Also, any reason I SHOULD be using a snap-swivel? I don’t really need to swap hooks for any reason, and a swivel would seem to be just a visual distraction on the presentation.

Thanks.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

It might depend on WHERE the line has been stored. If the reels have been where they can get hot or in direct sunlight for any length of time, the line will deteriorate much faster than line kept in a cool/dark place.

I've got a couple dozen spools of various brands & pound test mono line, some of which is 20-30yrs old & still in good shape. I keep them in a closet in my home. For the most part, I don't usually change line but once a year on the reels I use most often. I do, however, "test" the lines at the start of the Spring season, just to make sure they haven't weakened. I tie off the end of the line and walk off about 75ft, then pull on the line until it starts to stretch & hold it at that tension for a few seconds and repeat the process two or three times. If the line is weak, has a bad place or nick, then it will likely break & I'll change out the whole spool. Otherwise, I figure it's good to go. That stretching/holding process will also pull out some of the spool coils that occur from the spooled reels not having been used for some time. It works for me, and I can't honestly say that I've ever lost a Crappie from having them break my line. And if I should happen to get hung up, it still takes quite a good tug to break my lines, even though they're 4-6lb test.

I've used the Improved Clinch knot for 50+ years, even on braid, and don't have any problems with it. Don't care for snap-swivels, & don't use them.

... cp
    Likes skeetbum, SeaRay LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Back a few years ago (closer to 5 or 6 seasons), when I still used monofilaments, I use to change out a cast's length of line ever few weeks. I'd join the new line to the base fill with a blood knot. Especially with the lighter pound tests. That is one of the reasons that I've switched to braid. Now I can fish the same line for several seasons with no problems, or worries. With no thought to wear or line twist.

I use 2# test Fireline Crystal fused line for my main lines on several rigs, along with about a 3' section of fluorocarbon for the leader (4# test). I join these two lines with the Alberto knot, which has also proven itself over many seasons of hard use. This combination is very trouble free and more than strong enough to handle a lot of fish each season.

If you do not change baits frequently, I would just tie your lure/bait on without a snap of any kind. Use the Trilene knot, as the double loop on the hook eye resists breakage much more effectively than the single loop knot most others have.

Now I also use size #2 "snap hooks" on the end of my leader (Netcraft) in order to facilitate switching baits and allowing a freer movement of the bait in the water. These tiny hooks can float a dry fly and I've never had one fail on me thus far. Whatever you do, I would not recommend the use a "snap swivel" combination. Way too much hardware, in my opinion.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies. I have a good supply of Spectra PowerPro 15# Hi-Viz braid that I use as my main line on my speckled trout rigs. I might spool up one of my ultra-light spinners with that and slip bob a 12”, 6# mono leader. I don’t really need to worry about trying fluoro or CP leaders because in south Louisiana the freshwater is so stained and muddy that it wouldn’t make a difference.

The only issue I might run into with the braid is easy knotting/tangling. The7’ ultra-light rods I have are pretty “whippy” at the tip and last trip out we spent some time untangling 4# mono lines around the rod tip. I imagine the very supple braid might make this issue even worse(getting knots out of braid is almost impossible).
    I’ll rig up my other ultra-light with just 6# Stren Clear Blue mono and compare the two side-by-side next trip out.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I respool at least twice a year on all my poles. Bass, Crappie, Catfish, and a few ultra lites

Post Thanks / Like

Putting on new line is dependent on how it is stored, how much it is fished and how long it has been on the rod.I have beendoing a little experimenting with lines of late. Have been using Berkley solutions on Lynn's pole because she gets a lot of twist. This has eliminated her problem for the most part. She has 6lb test with a 4lb leader of Mr crappie line on a barrel swivel. The 4Lb leader will break before the 6lb so her line stays in tack. We fish brush a lot and get hung up a lot. I have been using mr crappie 6lb with a 4lb eagle claw leader. The eagle claw is much weaker and I wanted that so I could break off in the brush easier. Have since tossed the 4lb eagle claw as I lost a very nice crappie from it breaking off the line. Not at the knot. It may have been a little worn but I have changed it to the mr crappie. That stuff is tuff as nails. I have started using the barrel swivel to stop line twist but have found that I don't have to change line as much because we only lose the 4lb leader. Was having to change line 3 times a year or more because of loss of line. Now I will keep it down to 2 times a year unless it gets roughed up from the brush we fish. So to answer your question it depends on how often you fish and how you fish but I would change out at least once a year. We slip float fish mainly and after awhile the line will get kinks in it and it will not go through the float. Time to change line then. I do not use snap swivels unless I am fishing in line spinners. To much hardware for the way we fish.

Post Thanks / Like

I re-spool every February. Not because the line is weak from age. I replace the line for other reasons.
    Gets me motivated for the upcoming season.
    I spend time cleaning the rod and reel, then clean and organize all my other fishing gear.
    I must spend some money on fishing gear every year. Other than line I don't buy much in the way of tackle, hooks, lead weights, maybe a few bobbers and every couple of years bobber stops. Pretty much all my Crappie fishing is slip bobber.

About the only thing I lose when I get hung up on brush is the hook. Sometimes the weights, but not that often. I prefer 4lb mono, green or clear. Although green is easier for me to see to tie on. Tried orange at the beginning of this season and didn't catch squat. Pulled it off every reel and re-spooled with green.

I also replace my line every year because I nick it during the season.
    Finally, I like to start the season with fresh gear, clean and lubricated reel. Gives me confidence that I won't break off landing the Big Kahuna.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!
    Likes shipahoy41 LIKED above post

kycreek is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Yearly

Post Thanks / Like

Every spring here too. Of course I don't have nearly as many rods as some of you guys.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hanr3 View Post
    I re-spool every February. Not because the line is weak from age. I replace the line for other reasons.
    Gets me motivated for the upcoming season.
    I spend time cleaning the rod and reel, then clean and organize all my other fishing gear.
    I must spend some money on fishing gear every year. Other than line I don't buy much in the way of tackle, hooks, lead weights, maybe a few bobbers and every couple of years bobber stops. Pretty much all my Crappie fishing is slip bobber.

I do the same my friend. It gives me something to do and there is just something magical and theraputic about playing with fishing gear after a long and cold winter.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.