Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where do you measure line from ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Where do you measure line from ?

I'm tryin my luck at trolling cranks. When letting line out should it be measure from the rod tip or where the line make contact with water? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I measure from the rod tip but that's just how I do it.
    Set da hook

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

From where line makes contact to the water
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes MrGoodtime LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

The depth charts are for where the line hits water

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA
    Likes MrGoodtime LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I was referring to using a depth chart. I seem to be hitting water further back when I let more line out. Should that happen?

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I look at the depth on my chart....I drop my crankbait in the water....reset line counter and let out line ( with rod in rod holder) untill the counter reads the number of feet out that I want.....then with the rod in the rodholder I estmate how many feet from rod tip to where the line enters the water....then watching my counter I let that many more feet of line out.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes theygotaeat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by "G" View Post
    I look at the depth on my chart....I drop my crankbait in the water....reset line counter and let out line ( with rod in rod holder) untill the counter reads the number of feet out that I want.....then with the rod in the rodholder I estmate how many feet from rod tip to where the line enters the water....then watching my counter I let that many more feet of line out.
    I'm using depth hunter power pro 10/40 because I'm fishing timber. With 125' line out from rod ( been counting it wrong) with bandit 300 it's about 45 ' before it contacts to water. That sound about right?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hunter71 View Post
    I'm using depth hunter power pro 10/40 because I'm fishing timber. With 125' line out from rod ( been counting it wrong) with bandit 300 it's about 45 ' before it contacts to water. That sound about right?
    It might depend on how high above the water that your rod tips are. Not sure it's all that critical when long line trolling, but the angle of the line and how high off the water your rod tips are is a factor when trolling cranks behind weights. Crank pushers/pullers around here are generally using 2oz weights ahead of their crankbaits, and their rod tips are very close to the water on the "pushing" rods. The "pulling" rods (out the back) are using the same setup, but angled upwards ... so they have to put out more line length to get the crank to the same depth.

My first experience with cranks was from the back (pulling), while my buddies were pushing out the front. They told me to let out between 45-50ft of line on the two rods I was using, and I thought they were using the same line length ... but, come to find out they were letting out around 25ft of line. Their rods were just off the water's surface, while my rods had 20-25ft of line "in the air" from the rod tips to the water. We were essentially running the cranks at around the same depth, but I had to put out more line to compensate for the discrepancy in distance of line from rod tip to water's surface.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Either where the rod tip is or where it hits the water! If ur going to base depth from rod tip u have to know about high the rod tip is out of the water and deduct that from the depth of ur dive chart. If u want to deduct length of line from where line enters water is a different equation to get the same answer. I do my math from my rod tip because it takes a step out of the equation to get the same number. But in all actuality, geometry is geometry. The angle is the same and the hypotenuse is the same. But there are several different ways to come up with the correct answer.

Say for instance I want to fish 15ft down. If my rod tip were dragging the water I would go out 91 feet.
    If my rod tip is 1 foot out of the water, then I would have to fish 109 feet out which would equal 16 feet deep from the rod tip, but.....the tip is one foot out of the water. So I am actually fishing the desired 15 feet deep with the 109 foot out.

Or u could do a more difficult equation of trying to GUESS the distance from where the line is hitting the water to the tip of the rod. Then subtract that distance from the actual feet out. And then plug ur answer to the depth chart.

The first way, I can do that math in my head effortlessly. Other way takes some thinking lol. Either way works, just different approaches to the same answer.
    Likes "G" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LowePro View Post
    Eitherwhere the rod tip is or where it hits the water! If ur going to base depth from rod tip u have to know about high the rod tip is out of the water and deduct that from the depth of ur dive chart. If u want to deduct length of line from where line enters water is a different equation to get the same answer. I do my math from my rod tip because it takes a step out of the equation to get the same number. But in all actuality, geometry is geometry. The angle is the same and the hypotenuse is the same. But there are several different ways to come up with the correct answer.

Say for instance I want to fish 15ft down. If my rod tip were dragging the water I would go out 91 feet.
    If my rod tip is 1 foot out of the water, then I would have to fish 109 feet out which would equal 16 feet deep from the rod tip, but.....the tip is one foot out of the water. So I am actually fishing the desired 15 feet deep with the 109 foot out.

Or u could do a more difficult equation of trying to GUESS the distance from where the line is hitting the water to the tip of the rod. Then subtract that distance from the actual feet out. And then plug ur answer to the depth chart.

The first way, I can do that math in my head effortlessly. Other way takes some thinking lol. Either way works, just different approaches to the same answer.
    Didn't think about it that way but that makes sence. Mounted my rod holder on the rail of my pontoon so rod nip is 6' or so to the water surface so if want to lure at 15' deep I'll have let out enough to get 21'. Thanks for all the help guys!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast