Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Want to catch a SLAB!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Want to catch a SLAB!!!

Hi ya'll,
    Im new to crappie fishing and have limited $. I've been crappie fishing for about a month now. The biggest I've caught so far have been 10". I really want to catch a Slab. I see all these pictures up here and I want to be able to post a picture of my own with a big crappie. I have to fish from the shore for now (bc of the limited $). I mainly fish of the dock at Fellows Lake bc its close but I would like to branch out. I dont mind traveling to fish but it would be nice to catch something big if I do. I only fish with minnows now and I hear everybody talking about jigs on here. Ive never used a jig and would like any advice I can get on that. Thanks for any info in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

_T_RAV_; Let me say to start with welcome from Southcentral Mississippi. I would say if you are catching crappie then it is only a matter of time before you will hang into that big slab. I have caught some nice size with both minnows and artifical bait. The biggest thing is fishing as much and as often as you can. Learning from what worked catching fish and what didn't work. The law of averages will findly work in your favor catching that slab of a lifetime. They are several old posts here that will help you with what type artifical baits, when to fish them, how to use them, and where. There is also nothing wrong with using minnows. I use them 90% of the time myself. Where it is legal drop some fish habitat it will help the fish and it will also help your catching fish.
    Be safe and good luck fishing
    Likes Tony the Tiger LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by _T_RAV_ View Post
    Hi ya'll,
    Ive never used a jig and would like any advice I can get on that.
    I just posted this in another thread, but here it is again. The slider is just one type of jig. This method works with any jig.

Charlie Brewer's Slider Company - ******* Weedless Crappie Slider "Why&How"

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from the Alabama delta.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by _T_RAV_ View Post
    Hi ya'll,
    Im new to crappie fishing and have limited $. I've been crappie fishing for about a month now. The biggest I've caught so far have been 10". I really want to catch a Slab. I see all these pictures up here and I want to be able to post a picture of my own with a big crappie. I have to fish from the shore for now (bc of the limited $). I mainly fish of the dock at Fellows Lake bc its close but I would like to branch out. I dont mind traveling to fish but it would be nice to catch something big if I do. I only fish with minnows now and I hear everybody talking about jigs on here. Ive never used a jig and would like any advice I can get on that. Thanks for any info in advance.
    T_RAV .... first off, ain't nothing wrong with a 10" Crappie !! Good all around average size for most any lake.
    Now .... depending on what you consider a "Slab" .... you might have to "branch out", as you say. You may well catch a 1-2lb fish, right from your local waters, but Spring & Fall would be the best times to catch one from shore/pier/dock. It could also be possible during Summer or Winter, if the water depth is sufficient in the areas you can reach with your bait.

Now, let's say you consider a "Slab" to be anything over 2lbs, just for starts. OK ... then, in order to catch a fish of that size, you'll need to be fishing waters that can & do grow fish to that size/weight. Secondly, you'll need to be able to legally fish from the shore/pier/dock/etc. and go to those waters when these bigger fish will be within reach. Generally speaking, that's likely going to be during the Spring spawning period ... and "when" that is will depend on "where" the lake is located. You'd normally have a window of opportunity of anywhere from 3 to 5 weeks, to catch the fish in their pre-spawn feeding pattern (when they come shallow to fatten up before spawning) and the actual spawn period (when males are guarding nests & females are cruising in & out to lay eggs).

Spawning Black Crappie will come shallow earlier & stay shallow longer than the White Crappie, but they're also much spookier at those times, so being very stealthy is key to not running them off.

As has been said ... ain't a thing wrong with chunkin a minner out there !! I was a minner man from the time I started Crappie fishing as a young boy, well into my 30's. I would cast a jig now & then during those times, but mostly out of boredom. When I started casting jigs as my primary fishing method, I would quite often have minners as a backup. Nowadays, it's only in very special circumstances that I'll even bother with them.

If I was "starting" to use jigs, and wasn't sure about them, this is what I'd start with :

Spinning outfit .... 6-7ft rod med action ... 4-6lb test line (hi-vis unless I was fishing crystal clear waters)
    3 or 4 Roadrunners ... 1/16oz marabou in solid chartreuse or pink/chartreuse (Elec Chicken)
    1 dozen jigheads ... 1/16oz weedless
    2 or 3 packs of Panfish Assassins or Southern Pro Crappie Slugs (both of which are 1.5" stinger tail grubs) ... purple/char - green/char - pink/char - blue/char - blk/char are all good choices.
    Small size tackle box to hold them all.

The Roadrunners I would cast out and let them sink for a few seconds, then reel them back in with a steady moderately fast retrieve ... with my rod tip pointed down & away to the side of me. When the hit comes, you sweep the rod away from the fish to set the hook.

The jigs I would cast out and let sink for a few seconds, then reel them back in as slow as it takes to keep the line in a slight bow from the rod tip to the water's surface ... with my rod pointed up at about the 10 o:clock position. When you see the line jump ever so slightly, go slack all of a sudden, or start to move off sideways ... then you set the hook with a fast lifting motion of the rod.

IF you happen to be on a pier or dock that has good water depth under it, you might also try what I call the "Vertical Casting" method. Here's the article I wrote on that technique : Crappie Pappy Article

Now, all of this info is just my opinion, based on my experiences, and I reserve the right to be wrong about any of it. It's worked for me, your mileage may vary

... cp
    Likes Tony the Tiger, scrat, RMGeorge, ckaz613 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    T_RAV .... first off, ain't nothing wrong with a 10" Crappie !! Good all around average size for most any lake.
    Now .... depending on what you consider a "Slab" .... you might have to "branch out", as you say. You may well catch a 1-2lb fish, right from your local waters, but Spring & Fall would be the best times to catch one from shore/pier/dock. It could also be possible during Summer or Winter, if the water depth is sufficient in the areas you can reach with your bait.

Now, let's say you consider a "Slab" to be anything over 2lbs, just for starts. OK ... then, in order to catch a fish of that size, you'll need to be fishing waters that can & do grow fish to that size/weight. Secondly, you'll need to be able to legally fish from the shore/pier/dock/etc. and go to those waters when these bigger fish will be within reach. Generally speaking, that's likely going to be during the Spring spawning period ... and "when" that is will depend on "where" the lake is located. You'd normally have a window of opportunity of anywhere from 3 to 5 weeks, to catch the fish in their pre-spawn feeding pattern (when they come shallow to fatten up before spawning) and the actual spawn period (when males are guarding nests & females are cruising in & out to lay eggs).

Spawning Black Crappie will come shallow earlier & stay shallow longer than the White Crappie, but they're also much spookier at those times, so being very stealthy is key to not running them off.

As has been said ... ain't a thing wrong with chunkin a minner out there !! I was a minner man from the time I started Crappie fishing as a young boy, well into my 30's. I would cast a jig now & then during those times, but mostly out of boredom. When I started casting jigs as my primary fishing method, I would quite often have minners as a backup. Nowadays, it's only in very special circumstances that I'll even bother with them.

If I was "starting" to use jigs, and wasn't sure about them, this is what I'd start with :

Spinning outfit .... 6-7ft rod med action ... 4-6lb test line (hi-vis unless I was fishing crystal clear waters)
    3 or 4 Roadrunners ... 1/16oz marabou in solid chartreuse or pink/chartreuse (Elec Chicken)
    1 dozen jigheads ... 1/16oz weedless
    2 or 3 packs of Panfish Assassins or Southern Pro Crappie Slugs (both of which are 1.5" stinger tail grubs) ... purple/char - green/char - pink/char - blue/char - blk/char are all good choices.
    Small size tackle box to hold them all.

The Roadrunners I would cast out and let them sink for a few seconds, then reel them back in with a steady moderately fast retrieve ... with my rod tip pointed down & away to the side of me. When the hit comes, you sweep the rod away from the fish to set the hook.

The jigs I would cast out and let sink for a few seconds, then reel them back in as slow as it takes to keep the line in a slight bow from the rod tip to the water's surface ... with my rod pointed up at about the 10 o:clock position. When you see the line jump ever so slightly, go slack all of a sudden, or start to move off sideways ... then you set the hook with a fast lifting motion of the rod.

IF you happen to be on a pier or dock that has good water depth under it, you might also try what I call the "Vertical Casting" method. Here's the article I wrote on that technique : Crappie Pappy Article

Now, all of this info is just my opinion, based on my experiences, and I reserve the right to be wrong about any of it. It's worked for me, your mileage may vary

... cp
    Just bookmark that article. I will be reading that article again and again.

CrappiePappy, thanks a bunch for that article, knowledge from that article is a life long treasure.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GA ANGLER View Post
    Just bookmark that article. I will be reading that article again and again.

CrappiePappy, thanks a bunch for that article, knowledge from that article is a life long treasure.
    Appreciate the acknowledgement, but as I said in the article .... I didn't invent the technique, I just named it. I owe kudos to a couple of late fishing buddies for getting me to try the technique, and just put the article together in their honor/memory. I was probably using the technique as far back as the 1980's & well into the 1990's ... but didn't write the article until the early 2000's, a couple of years after joining Crappie.com. I still use the technique, to this day, and will continue to do so since it has proved effective/productive on many occasions.

I hope it will contribute to many more fish in the boat, for any & all that give it a try.

... cp