PDA

View Full Version : Fishing from a pontoon?

Crappie 1
08-09-2015, 05:41 AM
Do many of you fish out of a pontoon. How are they for Spider Rigging? Loading & hauling? Been looking at one and thinking about getting it. Were in a 16' boat right now. Thanks, just wondered how they work out.

RM Fishin
08-09-2015, 08:18 AM
I have one and it is nice to fish out of, especially for the Gran Kids, But Windy days are not fun! I can load and unload by myself but it takes a long time and if the launch is busy, people run their mouth but don't offer to help. So glad I kept smaller boat when it is just me. Don't know about spider-rigging but Trolling for Lakers works.

Speck Beck
08-09-2015, 10:33 AM
I use my pontoon for spider rigging and other methods of crappie fishing and it works great.
I have a terrova i-Pilot Link system that makes the pontoon a crappie dream machine.
I have my pontoon stored near the lake I fish because I'm uncomfortable in transporting it.
I never use my bass boat any more unless I'm going on a long distance fishing trip.
GET THE PONTOON!!!!

Tracker22
08-09-2015, 10:50 AM
I own a 22' fishing barge with the I-pilot system. I can catfish and bass fish pretty good from it. I can't crappie fish from it for nothing. The wind is the problem. And it's too cumbersome to get in the trees and bushes.
IMHO unless your wanting to carry four or more people, buy a bigger fishing boat.

Cane Pole
08-09-2015, 11:34 AM
Mine works just fine, but it is a special custom type and not that expensive. Worth looking at if you don't fish heavy waters. I fish KY Lake on it doesn't catch much wind as it has only a rail without dressing and no furniture except seats. It is a cool looking rig too. Great for old folks or handicapped folks too.

fishingman
08-09-2015, 12:43 PM
I use an 18 ft pontoon for crappie brush pile fishing. I love the comfort and the company of the family.Plus i can haul all those crappies back in the large live well.

OBRage
08-09-2015, 01:44 PM

LowePro
08-09-2015, 02:56 PM
Post a pic of yours for all to see cane pole. I saw a pic on here once before I think and that was one cool looking machine!

Tony the Tiger
08-09-2015, 04:24 PM
:popcorn

Cane Pole
08-09-2015, 06:43 PM
This picture is before I added some more stuff like the Ulterra and aft trolling motor lift, his-her fans and umbrellas, etc..

It is just a hobby boat we just happen fish from.

Tracker22
08-09-2015, 07:03 PM
Wow, nice low profile. Are the trolling motors remote control?
that is one mean looking fishing machine.

wannabe fisherman
08-10-2015, 04:26 AM
Wow, nice low profile. Are the trolling motors remote control?
that is one mean looking fishing machine.

I've seen it at the Ky Lake camp and EVERYTHING on it is remote control. When CP takes it out the fish surrender and jump right in.

lowe rider
08-10-2015, 07:14 PM
This picture is before I added some more stuff like the Ulterra and aft trolling motor lift, his-her fans and umbrellas, etc..

It is just a hobby boat we just happen fish from.

I was was by your place Saturday and it was on the lift. I was showing it to some folks that were with me. :cheers2

Tracker22
08-10-2015, 07:18 PM
Ok, I've changed my opinion. If you want a pontoon for fishing crappie, get one like Cane Poles.

Cane Pole
08-10-2015, 09:19 PM
There are numerous Pondtoon owners here on c.com. The first one that I saw was here on c.com and belonged to Blackhawk19. I had to have one 'em. Other Pondtoons picture posted here are configured differently. No cookie cutters. Once rigged out, they are sharp.

Mine has plenty of brush scratches and a few dents on it. When it gets too many scratches, I will just have it repainted.

My rig has electronic steering via joystick. I love it. Joystick steering is handy. So is the pee lock on the Ulterra I recently installed.

Brenda and I really enjoy the boat. Just right porridge for us old folks.

Crappie 1
08-11-2015, 12:46 PM
Ok, I've changed my opinion. If you want a pontoon for fishing crappie, get one like Cane Poles. Well, ours isn't going to look like CP's, but we did buy one and are waiting for the call to come & pick it up It's a Sweetwater 2086 FC with a Suzuki DF90 hp for power. Will post a couple pictures later. Thanks for all the advice.

tigerinfielder3
08-12-2015, 10:38 AM
whats a pond toon rigged out like that run a fella canepole?

Cane Pole
08-12-2015, 11:15 AM
I just bought the custom hull and trailer from Custombuilt. $8000 delivered. Engine from a member here $3200. Electronics and Trolling motor from BBG Marine, $5000. Seats on sale from Academy $ 300. Batteries from Wal Mart, $300. Charger from Power Pro $300. I engineered the electronic steering, $800.

That is the basics I believe. I don't really track expenses since I can't write them off my tax since I am unemployed. Worked on it in my front yard. Had help from various c.com members and the local High School Votec and The Local Technology Center.

I have a way of overdoing things. A good functional boat can be put together at far less expense.

Crappie 1
08-12-2015, 12:09 PM
Well, ours isn't going to look like CP's, but we did buy one and are waiting for the call to come & pick it up It's a Sweetwater 2086 FC with a Suzuki DF90 hp for power. Will post a couple pictures later. Thanks for all the advice. Took it for a test run this morning. Trailers good at 60mph. Put 1 1/2 hrs. on the motor and it runs great. I think it will be all the motor we need, got plenty of power. "G" wanted me to post a couple pictures.

Cane Pole
08-12-2015, 12:27 PM
Nice rig. One of my neighbors has one just like it. Looks like a centipede with all the poles he has out.

Centipede rigging, not spider rigging.

"G"
08-12-2015, 01:43 PM
Looks great.....I like it

Crappie 1
08-12-2015, 02:12 PM
Hey, Thanks...

LowePro
08-12-2015, 02:54 PM
Very nice looking rig!

Speck Beck
08-12-2015, 03:19 PM
You will never regret that purchase. Looks great!

Mike1234
08-12-2015, 08:24 PM
Nice pontoons

huntinslabs
08-12-2015, 08:36 PM
Great looking rig. Should fish real well.

healthnspector
08-16-2015, 09:07 PM
great thread everyone...would love to try crappie fishing from one of those...just not here in the Illinois wind tunnel.

CRIA1576
08-17-2015, 01:10 PM
I traded my 16' Lund last summer for a 20' fishing barge. I have a family of 5 (kids 8, 10, and 17) and 6 close fishing buddies. Below are the pros and cons from my experience over last fall and this season (approximately 10 outings).

Pro:
-I can comfortably fish 6 people at once on structure (dams, brush piles, etc...)
-When kids get tired or bored they can play with their toys in the back or take a snooze under the biminy
-It is a stable and very safe platform
-It takes very little water to float and the 50hp Mariner pushes is just fine on larger water
-Bow mount 70# 24v Power Drive 2 pulls it across small electric-only lakes at 7-8 mph
-I can bring multiple coolers for fish, snacks, lunch, dinner, beer, pop, etc... without having to leave the water to eat and without sacrificing seating
-I have an on-board toilet for the gals, enough said
-Buying a used 'toon opens up the world for limitless configuration possibilities- The deck is wood and everything is simply bolted or screwed down

Con:
-Complete package with trailer is right at 30' long and takes some tractor shoehorning to fit into my 30' x 50' shed
-Total weight of boat and and tandem trailer is excessive and pulls hard in the hill country with my 5.7 Tundra CrewMax with 4.10 gears and 385 HP
-Visibility while trailering is poor unless you buy rear view mirror extensions
-High sides catch a lot of wind on the water and make anchoring and staying on structure a full-time and tedious job for the captain (I spend more time keeping the boat on the fish than fishing)

Although we have already made a lot of memories on this boat and it is great for larger outings, I am going to be replacing it in the next couple years. After much price/feature shopping and comparing deep Vs, Bass boats, and utilities, the best compromise I have found for meeting my capacity demands (4-6 people on average) as well as a more nimble and maneuverable craft is a 20' Jon Boat.

The Grizzly 2072 MVX is a center console model that can easily hold and fish 6 people. It has 3 pedestals side-by-side in the bow for maximizing socializing and covering strucuture in an incredibly stable platform. With the capability of adding 90+ horses in the back, this is a boat that can also get you where you need to go in a hurry if needed. Sea Ark, G4, and others have big Jon's and bay boats that compete in this category, but for the money I the Grizzly is the one I am leaning towards.

I hope this helps!

CRIA1576
08-17-2015, 01:42 PM
I forgot to mention that loading the 20' toon is a little challenging on electric-only lakes and if it it's really windy. If you can use the big motor you shouldn't have any problems at all. When on small water I have a 50# Power Drive on the back of my toon to guide it on the trailer and it works okay, but is really a 2 man job.

Crappie 1
08-17-2015, 02:20 PM
Well CRIA1576 we bought a pontoon. We have had it out 6-7 times already and even caught some Crappie on it today. Have loaded it in the wind twice with little problem. We opted for a 90 hp Suzuki so we have lots of power. It's just my wife and I, so there's lots of room. So far we have had no problems. We have a bunk trailer, so it travels good. Thanks for your reply. Crappie 2 (my wife) backs the boat in and also goes for the trailer when we get back. Makes a lot of difference having someone run the trailer...

CRIA1576
08-17-2015, 02:43 PM
Glad to hear it and agreed on all points! My brother drove down to MO and bought a 24' tri-toon fishing barge last summer, and its a beautiful rig. He got it with the supercharged 300hp Merc and it will do 39 mph with 8 adults on board! Similar to the beauty you bought, keep the blood, fish slime, and worm goo off the upholstery and you will be golden!!!

Good luck and tight lines!

Crappie 1
08-17-2015, 03:46 PM
We had a wash down pump and hose installed just for that reason. 300 H.P. I bet that thing goes...

CRIA1576
08-17-2015, 04:44 PM
That is definitely a value-added feature! Make that one of your prep activities before you get back to the launch and you get to put it away without more chores to do when you get her home. Nice!