Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Are the fish we catch suspending near or away from cover or are they there to feed?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Are the fish we catch suspending near or away from cover or are they there to feed?

I always search for patterns every time I hit the water, whether it be a deep water/clean bottom pattern or a irregular weed line pattern. I've seen fish actively feeding on the surface so that's the most obvious pattern, but catching 20 fish from a weed edge that extends out from shore is exactly easy to understand seeing as it's like a conveyor belt - one after another.

Are cooperative fish active or only active for the moment the lure invades their quiet space?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

My gut instincts say that it's both. Active fish are there, potentially feeding on or on the prowl for their normal food source ... whether we are, or not. We send "our" imitations into the mix and they may get taken. Inactive fish may also be there, and may become active upon watching the others feed or may be coaxed into taking our imitations should we present them in close proximity to their "personal space". Now, whether they are "biting" these imitations to eat them, kill them, or scare them away from that "space" is of little consequence to us, the anglers, as long as they give us a cue as to having taken the offering into their mouths long enough for us to set the hook.

I've never believed Crappie are "smart", they just have survival instincts. They're governed by their surroundings & conditions, and they must feed & breed to survive & perpetuate their species. They must also be cognizant of the fact that they too can be prey to larger predators. I've also never believed that they "remember" or "learn" to avoid certain baits, hooks, line color, or even certain scents.

... cp
    Likes NJcrappie, 262jp LIKED above post

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The only pattern that works is to be out everyday so you will be there when the fish decide to eat.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes wannabe fisherman, Redge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Now, whether they are "biting" these imitations to eat them, kill them, or scare them away from that "space" is of little consequence to us, the anglers, as long as they give us a cue as to having taken the offering into their mouths long enough for us to set the hook.
    After experimenting with the many totally unnatural lures I've created and caught fish with in the past, I have doubts that lures represent anything to a fish except as an irritation. Granted, many of the straight and curl tail lures we cast are what most anglers think are simulations of prey fish, the biggest part of their diet, but anymore I'm led to believe that lures are simply X factors that inactive fish respond to a majority of the time.

Today I wanted to try out some different designs I came up with on the weekend after doing well with the prong tail by BigBiteBaits (MinnR). The thin flat tail is still my go to bait because it flutters with the least movement just like a suspended minnow. That is until today! The prong tail was made a bit thicker, the body still flat from side to side and when rigged on a 1/16 with a short #6 hook, killed them - all four species (crappie, sunfish, bass and y.perch). The schools were sometimes mixed and there was no evidence of surface commotion or feeding. Sometimes it took more than a few casts to rile the school, but once riled, hit after hit!

There are many conventional theories why fish bite lures, feeding one of the big ones. But for my money, as a lure designer and tester, I want to push their buttons, simply stimulating aggression via their senses such that whether in a feeding or neutral mood, the combination of tail action, profile, maybe color and most definitely presentation, are something they can't allow to pass by without a response. In fact, I used a well known minnow imitation - 3" Lunker City's Fin-S Fish, and didn't do nearly as good as the lures with the finesse flat or prong tail action. As important as lure design was, it was enhanced by the slowest possible but variable retrieve speed in the same cast. The combination accomplishes one thing - it fits the mood, so to say. Variable speed matters and many anglers don't take it into account when fishing for neutral fish, especially with finesse action lures that shine by such a retrieve.

The motives of the over 100 fish caught today that attacked with gusto in 81 degree water under a bright sky? Not important except that I will always assume fish to be in a minding their own business mood. From that initial assumption it's first, get their attention and second, do whatever it takes with whatever it takes to get them to attack, whether they want to or not. Fish aggression is contagious and today is proof considering the mixed schools from which fish were caught in anywhere from 4.8'-14' of water in totally different areas of the lake.

Just one anglers opinion that serves me well. When fall weather changes the easy summer bite to one of, what now?, I'll get back to you.
    Last edited by Spoonminnow; 08-05-2015 at 10:14 PM.
    Likes Slabprowler LIKED above post