HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinons on spider rigging rods.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Opinons on spider rigging rods.

I'm looking to buy some rods for spider rigging. What are the preferred models here? I will mainly be using jigs and minnows. Weights ranging from. 1/4-3/4 and maybe a 1oz on a windy day. Thank you in advance for the help/info.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Capps and Colman 14' poles b&m has but think I would go with the pst 16' if I was buying new right now.
    Likes NJcrappie, hawgdog LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I use southern crappie rods with 3/4 weights most of the time. All personal preference on length I use 12 footers and catch large numbers and i take my nephew and less lenth the better for them two but then there are others that swear on 16 footers which I'm going to eventually try and compare the two and see which one produces the most fish, just haven't had the funds yet to get another set. Best of luck and also the customer service is great with southern crappie rods.
    Likes NJcrappie, theygotaeat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Southern 14 footers. They fish better than my ability. Lol.
    Likes zcarey51, NJcrappie, wannabe fisherman LIKED above post

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are just starting I would stay away from the 16 footers. They take a while to get the hang of swinging fish into the boat or toward the net. I can highly recommend the Southern Crappie rods in 12 or 14 foot.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Likes NJcrappie, floatntiny, SeaRay LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Just go ahead and buy southern crappie rods. Don't do like me and waste money on a bunch of other brands. When you going to end up buying southern crappie rods anyway.
    Likes wannabe fisherman, yikess LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use two 14' Capps & Coleman rods & one 14' BnM PST .... then maybe a 10' rod added to the mix, and that's usually a Sam Heaton Super Sensitive or Todd Huckabee Dipping rod. Generally run 1/2oz weights over 1/16 - 1/8oz jigheads. Got no complaints about any of them. I would have no qualms about dropping 1oz of weight on any of the 14' rods, either.

I will say that I AM fairly much a newbie to rods longer than 7' ... used 10' rods starting out for methods other than casting, to see if I would like the various methods that long rods are generally used for ... then got the 14' rods so I could spider rig more directly out the front of my boat. No issues so far with the longer rods.

... cp
    Likes NJcrappie LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

If you plan to do much rigging in shallow water, or shallow in the water column, get 16 footers. Further from the boat=less chance of spooking the fish.You will end up going that route eventually, and it is just as easy learning on them as it is with 14' poles. If you primarily fish deeper water, then 14'ft rods will be fine.
    ><}}}}*> (C.J.)
    Likes NJcrappie, hawgdog LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

14' BnM BGJP Once you learn these rods, I don't thing there is a better bite detecting rod out there.
    Likes Cmj, SeaRay, NJcrappie LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Southern crappies will detect a lite bite and are tough as nails,I have the 14fters
    Likes wannabe fisherman, NJcrappie, Marvin LIKED above post

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast