Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Price of Gas and Fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Price of Gas and Fishing

If you go fishing 30 times a year, drive 150 miles round trip, get 15 miles to the gallon, and use 4 gallons of gas for fishing the cost is still minimal. The gas will cost you $840 based on gas being $2 a gallon.

To put this in perspective, most people eat away from home twice a week. If you are feeding only yourself it will cost you at least $20 a week times 52 weeks is $1040, not counting the gas to get there , which would probably cancel the cost of eating at home. The big question is "Do you enjoy fishing or eating out more"?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gas

I hear you! Although I don't like paying the higher prices for gas now, I'm not going to let it effect my recreation time. A fellow at work was ranting and raving about the price of gas and that the govt. had to do something about it. Five minutes later he goes and buys a pint of water for $.75, go figure?

slab_seeker Guest

Default Shellback

Quote Originally Posted by Shellback
    I hear you! Although I don't like paying the higher prices for gas now, I'm not going to let it effect my recreation time. A fellow at work was ranting and raving about the price of gas and that the govt. had to do something about it. Five minutes later he goes and buys a pint of water for $.75, go figure?
    Smack your co-worker for me, he needs to be woke up.

S10CHEVY is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General - Moderator Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Things to do to use less gas

While at work today, was reading a magazine, and saw things we can do to use less gas in our vehicles.
    If we have things we haul around in them like say a tool box, and it weighs 200 lbs, it will make you loose a mile per gallon. If your not going to use it immediately, then why transport it all over the place with us.
    Have a rack on top, it causes wind resistance, therefore taking more fuel.
    Do you drive a truck, and is it open in the back? If you buy a taunu cover and put it on, you will save fuel and also create more downforce on the on the rear wheels for better traction.
    It occured to me that if you tow your boat without it being covered, that it creates wind resistance too. I'm guilty of that one.
    By speeding up, prior to a hill, you will get up further before having to shift down in gears and use more gas to finish getting up the hill. This even applies to an automatic.
    The use of cruise control, even while towing, will help save gas. But never use it when raining, cause if you would loose traction with the road, you can hydro plane and become a fatality. That is one thing manufacturers never tell you.
    Hope this helps some. Keith

Post Thanks / Like

Default $880 divided by two is still a lot of money

Why should we pay $2.00 a gallon when last year we were only paying $1.00 a gallon? What is different this year that was not happening last year?

Sure we can still fish but it's costing twice as much.

I find it hard to believe that no one is griping about the price of gasoline.

We didn't do that at the Boston Tea Party. What has happened to us? Are we so complacent these days that nothing bothers us anymore.

I could buy a lot of things with that 840 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by crappieman101
    If you go fishing 30 times a year, drive 150 miles round trip, get 15 miles to the gallon, and use 4 gallons of gas for fishing the cost is still minimal. The gas will cost you $840 based on gas being $2 a gallon.

To put this in perspective, most people eat away from home twice a week. If you are feeding only yourself it will cost you at least $20 a week times 52 weeks is $1040, not counting the gas to get there , which would probably cancel the cost of eating at home. The big question is "Do you enjoy fishing or eating out more"?
    Regards,

Moose1am