Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some help from the minnow guys

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need some help from the minnow guys

I'm curious as to how many different species of minnows we fish with across the USA. Is it possible to post some pics of the minnows you use in your local area?
    I'm also going to the design room for a head that will carry the name, "Convertor", and need some real life patterns to work with. (other then what we have in PA.) This jig should bridge the gap between the live bait guys and the jig guys - if that's possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Zig
    I'm curious as to how many different species of minnows we fish with across the USA. Is it possible to post some pics of the minnows you use in your local area?
    I'm also going to the design room for a head that will carry the name, "Convertor", and need some real life patterns to work with. (other then what we have in PA.) This jig should bridge the gap between the live bait guys and the jig guys - if that's possible.
    Good luck bridging that gap .Here in sc we use mostly shiners with the occasional creek chub when the money is low.Sorry no pics but I'm sure a shiner isn't what your'e looking for anyway.The jigs seem to be more challenging and labor intensive.I've tried lots with the jigs but haven't had any luck.If you come up with the bigger better jig head let us know , I'll try it out....E.
    Commercial fishermen help feed the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Fatheads are what are sold around here, both in the regular color and rosy reds if you go to a pet shop. From what the DNR people have told me, most of the baitfish sold in this part of Ohio are raised in ponds in Minnesota. We sometimes get a stickleback or madtom in the mix, which can be exciting when you stick your hand in the bucket.

The metallic finish minnow heads that Mike Simpson (Crappie Magic) sells look really good and have produced for us when paired with a small tube. It looks like a baby fish - all head; no body. He puts those realistic eyes on them too. Is that the type of jig head you're looking at? - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

Not quite. If I can pull the paint work off, this will look like a twin to the real thing. I have pictures of thirteen different species of "minnows", but I need real life pics to get the color blending right.

Post Thanks / Like

Try http://www.fishpondinfo.com/rosies,htm

I think I typed that in right. Anyway, she shows close ups of her rosy reds and her regular fatheads. - Roberta
    Last edited by Roberta; 01-05-2005 at 07:02 PM.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Hey Zig ....

Here in KY, the KDFWR puts out a pamphlet showing a lot of the indiginous fish species of the state -- sport fish and baitfish. They have color photos. As far as "baitfish" species, generally used for Crappie, we have several that are worthy of imitation. While the Bluntnose Minnow, Creek Chub, and Shiner species are probably the most common ... and used most often ... the Gizzard Shad and Threadfin Shad are also quite popular (where available/legal). There's also a little guy, whose popularity has waned over the years, but who can - at times - outfish ANY other live baitfish minnow. The Brook Silverside ... also known as "ghost minnow" or "Skipjack".
    Check out this pamphlet at this link :
    http://www.kdfwr.state.ky.us/pdf/kyf...vPath=C101C138

Is this what you're looking for ?? ......... luck2ya ...........cp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Speaking of Silversides....

Hey CP,

Remember our old "special project?"

I happened to notice they have a new "Silverside" out this year at Cabelas. I saw it in the new Tackle Shop catalog, but it is also on the web at this link. Click here

It is quite a bit different than I came up with, I thought you might be interested in giving it a look....

Mike
    I may have a "Crappie" job, but you should see my office!

Post Thanks / Like

Default We have some of those

The ones we bought have mylar tails rather than marabou, but they look about the same. Those sitck-on eyes fall off after a few trips in the water.

Zig - The Audubon Society Field Guide on fish and marine life has lots of phootgraphs of minnows and daces. Most photos are pretty clear. I ordered mine from Amazon. - Roberta

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Roberta - some of pics on the link will help. Had to spend some time looking through the place, very informative site for aquarium owners.

Crappiepappy - your link opened the flood gates. Too many ideas, not enough time..........

Thanks for all the help.

Post Thanks / Like

Default field guides

You could use a field guide like from North America series. You can find them at your local book store. We used them in college when we did electroshocking on the streams. It will break it down according to characterisitcs of the fish and give you their names and other usefull info. You can get them on other subject too like birds,fungus,and trees for examples. It will id everything down to stone rollers in the streams and darters minnows( like the one they say are going extincit due to dams) so you can even find one that the local wildlife resources say that you can not use and make models of them to use and no do anything illegal.

Hope that helped.
    If in doubt, cross their eyes!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast